Meet Director Schulz
Cody Schulz was born and raised in rural New Salem where he gained his love for all things outdoors. It was here where he also nurtured an entrepreneurial spirit, starting a business at the age of 16. With his cousin, Schulz started S & V Salvage Company, a small business that purchased and processed recyclable materials. After receiving his associate’s degree, Cody went to work for Cellular One, working in sales and service during the peak of the analog to digital conversion. After returning to school to attain his bachelor’s and master’s degrees, he spent a short time working for MDU Resources before being hired by the North Dakota Department of Emergency Services in 2007.
Schulz was appointed the Homeland Security Division Director and State Homeland Security Advisor on March 1, 2018. He previously served as the department’s Business Manager and Disaster Recovery and Mitigation Chief. He has led financial and programmatic recovery operations during 14 presidential declared major disasters and numerous state declared emergencies.
In addition, Schulz was elected to the Morton County Commission in 2012 and re-elected in 2016. He was Chairman of the Commission in 2016 and 2017, during the historic Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL) protest. Morton County has a population of 32,000, spans approximately 2,000 square miles and employs nearly 200 staff.
Schulz earned an associate’s degree in Business Management from Bismarck State College, a bachelor's degree in Business Administration from Dickinson State University and a master's degree in Business Administration (MBA) from the University of North Dakota.
Cody enjoys hunting, fishing, baseball, and spending time with his niece and nephews. He is also an avid reader, particularly of history. He also enjoys restoring and driving classic cars.
University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, North Dakota
• Master of Business Administration
• Graduated - December 2006
Dickinson State University, Dickinson, North Dakota
• Bachelor of Science Degree
• Major-Business Administration
• Minor-Business Management
• Graduated - December 2004
Bismarck State College, Bismarck, North Dakota
• Associate of Applied Science Degree
• Major-Business Management
• Graduated - May 1998
Boards and Committees
• Bismarck Mandan Chamber of Commerce-Local Issues Committee
• Bismarck Mandan Development Association-Board of Director
• Morton County Park Board
• Morton County Planning and Zoning Commission
• National Association of Counties (NACO)
• National Emergency Management Association (NEMA)
• North Dakota County Commissioners Association-Board of Directors
• North Dakota County Commissioners Association-Legislative Committee
• North Dakota Emergency Management Association (NDEMA)
• North Dakota State Emergency Response Commission SERC)-.Chairman
• North Dakota State Interoperability Executive Committee (SIEC)
• North Dakota State and Local Intelligence Center (SLIC) Executive Committee
This site updated as of 9/23/2018.