Reuben T. Guenthner Scholarship
The Reuben T. Guenthner Scholarship is given in memory of Reuben T. Guenthner, a leader in Career and Technical Education (CTE) in both the state and nation. Mr. Guenthner was first a CTE student, then a secondary CTE instructor, a local administrator supportive of CTE programs, and finally a member of the North Dakota Department of Career and Technical Education from 1968 to 1995. Mr. Guenthner was appointed to the National Advisory Council on Career Education by President Reagan in 1982. At the time of his retirement in 1995, Mr. Guenthner was the North Dakota State Director of Career and Technical Education.
Two scholarships in the amount of $350 each will be awarded in May, 2017, to be used for the 2017-2018 school year. The scholarship is not renewable.
The applicant must meet all of the following requirements:
- Be a graduating senior from a North Dakota high school in 2017.
- Have completed one or more career and technical education courses between grades 9 and 12; (Career and Technical Education courses may be in any of the following programs: Agriculture Education, Business Education, Family and Consumer Sciences Education, Health Sciences Education, Information Technology Education, Marketing Education, Technology and Engineering Education, or Trade, Industry and Technical Education).
- Enroll in a two-year North Dakota public postsecondary institution.
- Enroll as a full-time student in a career and technical education program of two years or less.
Procedure for Applying
- Complete online application form.
- Email three (3) letters of recommendation to email@example.com. These documents are supporting the character and achievements of the applicant, with at least one recommendation from an instructor. The other letters may be from employers, advisors, or anyone other than family who has significant information about the applicant.
- Email high school transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for Applying - April 1, 2017
Applications must be submitted online with the required documentation emailed before April 1, 2017. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
If you have questions about completing the application, contact:
Phone: (701) 328-3187
Applications will be rated on the following items:
- Postsecondary Intent/Career Goals (reasons for choosing this goal; plans after completing education)
- Leadership Experiences (especially involvement in career and technical student organizations and responsibilities assumed as a member, officer, committee chair, etc.)
- School and Community Involvement
- Work Experience
- General Appearance (neatness, spelling, grammar, etc.)
Announcement of Award
The recipient of the scholarship will be notified in mid-May. Scholarship funds will be released to the postsecondary institution upon verification of the recipient's enrollment.
Donating to the Scholarship FundThe Reuben T. Guenthner Scholarship is funded by income from funds invested in the Career and Technical Education Endowment Fund within the North Dakota Community Foundation.
Contribution Form (pdf)