Book of Veterans Serving in Area of Conflict
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact section 37-01-45 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the book of veterans.
- A book of record of all ND veterans who served in an area of conflict.
- Changed from "for publish" to made available to public.
- Changed from "Book" to "Record" and as deemed fit by the adjutant general.
Senate concurred with House amendments
Allows servicemembers to vote by fax or email with sufficient safeguards to protect the integrity of the process. Ensures that servicemembers mobilized in remote areas can still vote.
PTSD Service Dogs
Origination of bill: Senator Sorvaag, Ronald
- Provide $50,000 to ND Department of Veterans Affairs for training service dogs to assist ND Veterans with PTSD
- Payment made by NDDVA only after completion of service dog's training
- Payment may not exceed $12,500 per service dog
- Legislative management shall consider studying statutory changes to benefit ND veterans; state income taxes, property taxes, veteran-focused incentives, assistance obtaining benefits, assistance obtaining life enhancing services, and current state and federal benefits available to ND veterans.
- NDDVA shall provide a report to legislative management during interim: status of service dog training program, benefits to veterans, number applicants, and number of service dogs provided.
- Appropriations: $50,000
County Veterans' Service Officers Accreditation Requirement
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact section 37-14-18 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to county veterans' service officers.
- Removes requirement for County Veteran Service Officer's to be accredited with "National Association of County Veteran Service Officers"
- Adds requirement for County Veteran Service Officer's to be accredited with any veteran service organization recognized by the US Department of Veterans Affairs
House GVA amendment
- Changes requirement for County Veteran Service Officers to be accredited with "any" veteran service organization to being accredited with North Dakota Department of Veterans Affairs
Added content of failed bill HB 1205 with amendments and lower fiscal note
- provides qualified dependents of 90% disabled ND Veterans with 90% tuition waiver at ND institutions of higher education
- fiscal note: $350,000 (not general fund dollars)
House Appropriations action:
- Recommend Do NOT pass on education and accreditation
Medal of Honor Memorial Funding
A BILL for an Act to provide for ownership and maintenance for the medal of honor monument; and provide an appropriation for the medal of honor monument.
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact sections 37-01-40, 37-19.1-01, and 37-19.1-02 and subsection 1 of section 37-19.1-04 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to veterans and veterans' preferences.
- Strengthens veterans preference
Income Tax Deduction
A BILL relating to income tax deduction for income of national guard and reserve volunteers for federal active duty; and to provide an effective date.
Relating to Tax Credits and Benefits Paid by Employers
A BILL for an Act to create and enact a new section to chapter 57-38 and a new subdivision to subsection 7 of section 57-38-30.3 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to an income tax credit for an employer maintaining payment of salary and related retirement plan contributions for an employee called to active military duty as a member of a reserve or national guard component; and to provide an effective date.
Administrative Committee on Veterans' Affairs Members
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact section 37-18.1-01 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the membership of the administrative committee on veterans' affairs.
The bill would add two non-voting Ex-officio members to the Administrative Committee on Veterans Affairs (ACOVA). The President of the ND Association of County Veteran Service Officers and the Executive Director of the ND Association of Counties.
- The 63rd Legislative Assembly designates May 1 as "Cold War Victory Day"
- The Secretary of State shall forward enrolled copies of this resolution to the ND Governor, American Legion, VFW, AMVETS, DAV, VVA
- Fiscal note: $0
- 63rd Legislative Assembly opposes current form of the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty and any treaty that infringes on the individual or collective right to keep and bear arms, in the strongest and most unequivocal terms;
- As duly elected representatives of the will of the people of ND strongly urge the President of the US, the US Secretary of State, the Ambassador of the US to the United Nations, and all members of the US Senate to soundly reject the current form of the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty or any other treaty which would endanger the individual or collective right to keep and bear arms;
- The Secretary of State of ND shall forward properly inscribed copies of this resolution to the President of the US, the President of the US Senate, the Speaker of the US House of Representatives, the US Secretary of State, the Ambassador of the US to the United Nations, each member of the US Senate, the Governor of each state, the Speaker of the House and President of the Senate of each state's legislature, and each member of the ND Congressional Delegation.
- Fiscal note: $0
Main Avenue Bridge
A concurrent resolution designating, in conjunction with the state of Minnesota, the Main Avenue bridge between Fargo, North Dakota, and Moorhead, Minnesota, as the Veterans Memorial Bridge.
US Highway 2
A concurrent resolution designating United States Highway 2 through the state of North Dakota as the 164th Infantry Memorial Highway.
USDVA & Healthcare and Pharmaceutical Needs of Veterans
A concurrent resolution urging Congress to require the United States Department of Veterans' Affairs assume all health care and pharmaceutical needs of veterans in state veterans homes.
A concurrent resolution paying tribute to North Dakota military personnel who have died in Iraq.
Congress to Adopt Veterans Remembered Flag
A concurrent resolution urging Congress and the President to adopt a veterans remembered flag.
Legislative Council Studies
A concurrent resolution directing the Legislative Council to study the adequacy of governmental services, including judicial services, to respond to issues related to an aging population, including veterans, and to study the efficacy of statutes governing public administrator services and methods for the timely and effective delivery of guardianship services.
Study Services to Aging Population and Veterans
Study state human services and guardianships for aging population including veterans.
Definition of State's Militia
A concurrent resolution for the amendment of section 16 of article XI of the Constitution of North Dakota, relating to the definition of this state's militia; and to provide an effective date.
Peace in Iraq and Afghanistan
ND House and Senate to urge President of US to pursue peace in Iraq and Afghanistan and disengage American combat forces.
United States Flag Education
A concurrent resolution urging all educators to ensure that the schoolchildren of North Dakota are taught the history of the United States flag, that they are taught to respect the flag, to exercise proper flag etiquette, and to understand that the flag is the most visible and enduring symbol of the American spirit.