Veterans Home Improvements Appropriation
A BILL for an Act to provide an appropriation to the state veterans' home for improvements associated with the new veterans' home and a geothermal heating system; to provide a contingent appropriation; to provide for a report to the budget section; and to declare an emergency.
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact subsection 2 of section 15-10-19.1 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the definition of resident student for tuition purposes.
Higher Education Tuition and Fees
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact sections 15-10-18.3 and 15-10-18.5 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to free higher education tuition and fees for dependents of veterans and survivors of firefighters, emergency medical services personnel, and peace officers.
Veterans Resident Tuition for Higher Education
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact section 15-10-18.2 and 15-10-19.1 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to tuition and tuition waivers for veterans and their dependents at state institutions of higher education.
Job Service Charging of Fees for Services
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact section 52-08-13 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to charging of fees for services; and to provide a continuing appropriation.
Definition of Veteran and Civil Service Codes
Origination: Adjutant General
- Changes Court martial code editions. Replaces Soldiers and Sailors civil relief act with Service member's civil relief act.
- Change definition of veteran: "Veteran" means a member of the national guard or reserve component who was activated under 10 U.S.C. 12301, as effective through October 2004, and 10 U.S.C. 12302, as effective through 2004, and who completed honorable and faithful service of more than thirty days on active duty in the armed forces of the United States at any time during the period of service, or active component member awarded the expeditionary medal or campaign badge for service after December 5, 1992, who was a resident of the state of North Dakota, and who has not received bonus or adjusted compensation from another state for the period of service.
Interment at Veterans’ Cemetery Eligibility
- Add: "a child who is without any sibling and who survives the veteran" to eligibility for internment at ND State Veterans Cemetary
- Fiscal note: $350,000. Federal VA Cemetery Grants
National Guard: State Employee Retirement Plans and Contributions
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact sections 54‑52‑06.2, 54‑52‑06.4, and 54‑52‑06.5, and subsection 3 of section 54‑52‑17 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to state employee retirement plans and retirement contributions by national guard security officers and firefighters.
Property Tax Credit for Disabled Veterans
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact section 57‑02‑08.8 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the property tax credit for disabled veterans and extension of the disabled veterans' property tax credit to the disabled veteran's surviving spouse; and to provide an effective date.
Changes to Property Tax exemption for Disabled Veterans to include credit for value of land:
- Removes the wording: of the fixtures, buildings, and improvements
- Changes from exemption to credit
Changes to Property Tax exemption for surviving spouse of disabled veteran:
- Allows a remarried spouse to regain eligibility if subsequent marriage ends
- Removed exemption for re-married spouse.
Senate refused to concur to House Amendment
Conference committee assigned
ND Bonus for Service
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact sections 37-01-04, 37-07.2-01, 37-28-01, 37-28-02, and 37-28-03 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the governor's authority to call out the national guard for training, national guard tuition grants, the definition of resident for military adjusted compensation, and the time period for filing claims; and to declare an emergency.
Military Service Members Remains Designee
Origination: Adjutant General
If the decedent died while serving in any branch of the United States armed forces, the United States reserve forces, or the National Guard, as provided by 10 U.S.C. 1481 section (a)(1) through (8) as effective through December 2001, and completed a United States department of defense record of emergency data, DD form 93, or its successor form or its equivalent branch's form, the duty to bury the decedent or to provide other funeral and disposition arrangements for the decedent devolves on the person authorized by the decedent pursuant to that form.
ND National Guard-Emergency Management
- Allows local emergency management organizations to enter into interstate mutual aid agreements with nearby political subdivisions.
- Allows 100% disabled Veterans with DAV plates to park in handicapped parking without additional handicapped parking tab
- Fiscal note: $0
Military Oversees Voters
Origination: Commission on Uniform State Laws
Provides for military oversees voters to vote absentee ballots.
- Addresses visitation rights of family members of children whose parent is deployed
- Addresses military deployments when considering child custody
- Addresses temporary child custody while custodial parent is deployed
- Includes Redeploying and Redeployment
- Fiscal note: $0
Motor Vehicle Excise Tax
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact subsection 1 of section 57-40.3-04 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the exemption from motor vehicle excise taxes on the acquisition or lease of a motor vehicle by a disabled veteran.
- Provides protection for private employers who establish a veterans preference hiring program
- Employer not held liable from lawsuits by protected classes (Age, national origin, etc.)
- Fiscal note: $0
Veterans' Home Admission Requirements
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact section 37-15-10 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to admission requirements for veterans at the veterans' home.
Veterans' Aid Fund
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact section 37-14-07 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to collecting fees on loans from the veterans' aid fund.
Veterans Home Fees and Telephone Services
A BILL for an Act to create and enact a new section to chapter 37-15 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to telephone services at the veterans' home; and to amend and reenact sections 37-15-10 and 37-15-14.1 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to admission to and fees paid by residents of the veterans' home.
Motor Vehicle Veterans' Purple Heart Number Plates
A BILL for an Act to create and enact a new subdivision to subsection 2 of section 39-04-18 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to a purple heart recipient exemption from motor vehicle registration fees; and to amend and reenact section 39-04-10.10 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to veterans' number plates.
Veterans who are Purple Heart recipient shall:
- Not have to pay initial or annual fee for distinctive purple heart license plates for one vehicle
- Be exempt from paying vehicle registration for one vehicle
- Fiscal note: $31,632
Loans from Veterans' Aid Fund
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact sections 37-14-04, 37-14-06, and 37-14-07 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to loans made from the veterans' aid fund.
- Allows a veteran to combine more than one veterans' aid loan into one loan as long as total does not exceed $5,000.00
A BILL for an Act to provide adjusted compensation for eligible resident veterans and for the filing and payment of claims, duties of the adjutant general, and exemption from taxation and execution for such payments; to provide a penalty; and to declare an emergency.
ND 211 Services
211-1 would provide services for Veterans and families to get connected to health and human services for mental health.
There is appropriated out of any moneys in the general fund in the state treasury, not otherwise appropriated, the sum of $110,000, or so much of the sum as may be necessary, to the department of human services for the purpose of providing traumatic brain injury case management services in eastern North Dakota, for the biennium beginning July 1, 2011, and ending June 30, 2013.
Property Tax Exemption
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact subsection 20 of section 57-02-08 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the homestead property tax exemption for disabled veterans; and to provide an effective date.
- Provides a property tax exemption for 50% and higher disabled veterans on first $200,000 of home's true and full value - amended to reduce value to $80,000.
State's Bonus for Service
A BILL for an Act to provide an appropriation to the adjutant general for maintenance and repair of political subdivision-owned armories through matching grants; and to provide for a report to the budget section.
- Allows active component members of the military to receive same amount of state's bonus for service stateside as is allowed National Guard and Reservists.
Vietnam Veterans' Day
A BILL for an Act to create and enact a new section to chapter 1-03 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to Vietnam Veterans' Day; and to declare an emergency.
Tuition Waivers and Grants
A BILL relating to tuition waivers and grants for national guard members.
Provision of Services to Individuals with Traumatic Brain Injury
A BILL for an Act to create and enact five new sections to chapter 50-06.4 and a new section to chapter 50-24.1 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the provision of services to individuals with traumatic brain injury; to amend sections 50-06.4-02 and 54-38-05 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to joint meetings and duties of the department of human services; and to provide an appropriation.
Disabled Veteran Property Tax Exemption and Appropriation
A BILL for an Act to create and enact a new section to chapter 57-02 of the North Dakota Century Code and a new section to Senate Bill No. 2184, as approved by the sixty-first legislative assembly, relating to a property tax credit for disabled veterans and to declare Senate Bill No. 2184, as approved by the sixty-first legislative assembly, to be an emergency; to amend and reenact subsection 20 of section 57-02-08 and subdivision c of subsection 1 of section 57-55-10 of the North Dakota Century Code and section 2 of Senate Bill No. 2184, as approved by the sixty-first legislative assembly, relating to the property tax and mobile home tax exemptions for disabled veterans and the effective date of Senate Bill No. 2184, as approved by the sixty-first legislative assembly; to provide an appropriation; to provide an effective date; and to declare an emergency.
- Adds "administrator" to list of exemptions from Veterans Preference laws
- Add definition of administrator which adds: assistant or associate school district superintendent, school principal, special education director, director of a multidistrict special education unit, career and technical education director, director of area career and technology center, athletic or activity director.
- Fiscal note: $0
Book of ND Veterans
- The Adjutant General shall initiate and coordinate the writing, publishing, and distribution of a record of all North Dakota Veterans, including a record of all North Dakotans killed in action and missing in action since statehood. The Adjutant General shall determine the projected costs for the completion of the writing, publishing, and distribution of the records and present those projections to the legislative management.
- Appropriations: $0
- Fiscal note: $0
Veterans Preference (coaches - assistants)
Changes assistant to assistants and adds athletic team coaches as exempt to veteran preference laws in higher education.
Supervision of CVSOs
A BILL relating to funding and veterans' records; relating to supervision of county veterans' service officers and duties of the commissioner of veterans' affairs; and to provide a continuing appropriation.
Appropriations - Veterans' Military Caskets and Urns
A BILL for an Act to provide an appropriation to the adjutant general for veterans' military caskets and urns.
- Provide military casket at no cost to veterans interred in ND
- Fiscal note of $2,800,000
- Moved to ND DVA
- removed funding of $2,800,00
- Moved to County Social services
- Changed from shall to may: allowed family to choose
Senate concurred to house amendments
Veterans' Cemetery Burial Fees for Dependents of Veterans
A BILL for an Act to provide for an appropriation for veterans' spouses and dependents burial fees at the veterans' cemetery.
- Pay for interring veterans eligible spouse and dependents at ND veterans Cemetery
- Fiscal note: $160,000
- Passed House GVA 14-0
- House appropriations recommended Do NOT Pass 19-2-2
- Failed House
Hunting License for 100% Disabled
- Added: Definition of a "Disabled Veteran"
- Added: For a resident disabled veteran combined general game, habitat stamp, small game, and fur-bearer license $3
- Fiscal note: $10,080. Not general fund dollars.
Tribal Veterans Advisory Commission
A BILL for an Act to create and enact a new section to chapter 37-18 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the creation, membership, and duties of the tribal veterans' advisory commission.
- Creates a ND Tribal Veterans advisory Commission
Property Tax Exemption while on Active Duty
- Reduce taxable valuation of homestead for each day on Federal active duty divided by total number of days in a year (365). Full year would equal 100% reduction.
- On first $4,500 of taxable value of homestead.
- Spouses living together may only apply for 1 exemption
- Service members living together and not married can apply for full exemption based on the percentage of ownership in the homestead.
- Fiscal note: No amount provided.
Veterans' License Plates
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact section 39-04-10.10 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to veterans' number plates.
- Veterans' license plate renewals will be reduced from $15 to $10.
Updates the Veterans Preference Laws. Combines the NDCC and the NDAC and separates the Competitive Personnel System and the Non-Competitive Personnel System to make it easier for employers and veterans to understand. Clarifies the appeals process.
Indian Veteran Representative
- ND Department of Veterans Affairs to provide an Indian Veteran representative in the ND county with the most registered Indian Veterans
- Appropriations: $25,000
Hunting, Fishing, and Trapping Privileges
A BILL for an Act to create and enact a new section to chapter 20.1-03 and a new subsection to section 20.1-03-04 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to hunter education requirements and to hunting, fishing, and trapping privileges for active duty military members; and to provide an expiration date.
- Allows free hunting, fishing, and trapping for active duty members on leave.
Property Tax Exemption
- Change disabled veterans homestead taxable valuation limit from $5,400 to $6,750
- Fiscal note: $477,000
Property Tax Credit for Deployed Guard
Provides a 40% tax credit for guard members if deployed.
Book of Veterans Serving in Area of Conflict
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact section 37-01-45 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the book of veterans.
- A book of record of all ND veterans who served in an area of conflict.
- Changed from "for publish" to made available to public.
- Changed from "Book" to "Record" and as deemed fit by the adjutant general.
Allows servicemembers to vote by fax or email with sufficient safeguards to protect the integrity of the process. Ensures that servicemembers mobilized in remote areas can still vote.
PTSD Service Dogs
Origination of bill: Senator Sorvaag, Ronald
- Provide $50,000 to ND Department of Veterans Affairs for training service dogs to assist ND Veterans with PTSD
- Payment made by NDDVA only after completion of service dog's training
- Payment may not exceed $12,500 per service dog
- Legislative management shall consider studying statutory changes to benefit ND veterans; state income taxes, property taxes, veteran-focused incentives, assistance obtaining benefits, assistance obtaining life enhancing services, and current state and federal benefits available to ND veterans.
- NDDVA shall provide a report to legislative management during interim: status of service dog training program, benefits to veterans, number applicants, and number of service dogs provided.
- Appropriations: $50,000