Create Patriotic Number License Plates, DAV Plate Changes
Pre-approved by Commissioner, ACOVA, and NDVCC
A BILL for an Act to create and enact a new section to chapter 39‑04 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to patriotic number plates; and to amend and reenact subdivision j of subsection 2 of section 39‑04‑18 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to disabled veteran motor vehicle registration.
Create three (3) patriotic license plates available to general public
- American Flag
- Bald Eagle
- Boony Stomper
- Additional plates as approved by NDDVA
- Funds from plates would go to Veterans Post War Trust Fund (PWTF) Principal
- Allow surviving spouse to retain one set of plates
- Allow eligible veteran the option of other veteran plates and retain registration exemption
- Fiscal Note: $488,532
- Changed initial fee from $20 to $25
- Changed amount to Highway tax fund from $10 to $20
- Changed amount to PWTF from $10 to $5
- Removed requirement to report funds collected to legislative assemblies
- Removed additional plates as approved by NDDVA
- Removed veterans choice of plates from the DAV plate and replaced with a standard plate
- Added surviving spouse to retain one plate
Senate Transportation Amendments:
- Changed wording of the Logos to be used
- Changed effective date from January 1, 2016 to July 1, 2016
Senate Appropriations Amendments:
Changed entire bill to requirements of "Organizational plates requiring...
- 50 pre-paid applicants for each plate
- $1,500 fee for each plate
House refused to concur: Conference committee assigned: Representatives Meier, Ruby, Delmore and Senators Rust, Oehlke, and Axness
Conference Committee Amendments:
- Senate receded from it's amendments
- Initial fee to be $25 with $20 going to Highway tax distribution fund and $5 to the PWTF
- Annual fee of $25 with $10 going to the Highway tax distribution fund and $15 to the PWTF
- 100% disabled veteran can chose DAV plate or Standard Plate
- 100% dasabled veterans un-remarried surviving spouse to retain one plate
- Boonie Stomper plate to be issued August 1, 2016
- Flag and Bald Eagle plates to be issued July 1, 2017
Appropriation for Vehicles for Transportation-Related Services for Veterans
Bill pre-approved by Commissioner
A BILL for an Act to provide an appropriation to the department of veterans' affairs; and to declare an emergency.
- Allow ND DVA to accept and expend federal grant dollars for rural veterans transportation program
Grants to Identify and Provide Services to Veterans Exposed to Agent Orange
Bill origination: Representative Trottier, Wayne
Pre-approved by Commissioner, ACOVA, and NDVCC
A BILL for an Act to provide an appropriation for the identification of and provision of services to veterans exposed to agent orange.
- Provide $100,000 grant fund to the ND chapter of the Vietnam Veterans of America for purposes of reaching out to Vietnam Veterans to educate them on Agent Orange.
- Changed from $100,000 to $50,000
- Added additional $25,000 from environmental and rangeland protection fund
House refused to concur: sent to conference committee: Representatives Rohr, Seibel, and Amerman, Senators Dever, Poolman, and Marcellais.
- Senate receded its amendments
- Final bill to show $50,000
National Guard Group Life Insurance
Origination: Rep. DeKrey
Pay for first $250,000 of National Guard Members group life insurance premiums. Changed to an interim study of the benefits of ND and other state guard members.
Veterans' Affairs Administrative Committee Membership and Compensation
Origination: Rep. Grande, Sen. Dever
Would remove the ACOVA Commissioner appointed by Governor. State Treasurer, Secretary of State, and Director of Human Services would be board over Veterans Affairs.
Motor Vehicles of Disabled Veterans Exempt from Registration Fees
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact subdivision j of subsection 2 of section 39-04-18 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to motor vehicles of disabled veterans which are exempt from registration fees.
- Removes weight restriction for qualifying vehicles for disabled veterans to receive disabled veteran license plates and be exempt from motor vehicle excise tax on 2 vehicles.
Origination: Representative Trottier, ACOVA, NDVCC
- $50,000 appropriation of general funds to ND Department of Veterans Affairs to provide grants for the identification and provision of services to ND Veterans who had been exposed to Agent Orange during the Vietnam conflict.
- Requires ND Department of Veterans Affairs to report to the budget section on the use and outcome of the grants awarded
- Appropriations: $50,000
Veteran Scholarship Grants and Scholarship Program
A BILL for an Act to create and enact a new chapter to title 15 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the creation of a veteran scholarship program; and to provide an appropriation.
- Provide up to a $1,500 scholarship grants per semester to qualified ND Veterans
Military Surviving Family Member Special Plates
A BILL for an Act to create and enact section 39-04-10.14 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the issuance of special plates for surviving family members of fallen members of the United States military.
Wounded Warrior Project Deer Licenses
Issue four any deer licenses annually to the wounded warrior project for distribution. A license issued under this subsection is valid from the opening of the youth deer season through the close of the deer season.
Armed Services' Member Room in County Buildings
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact section 11-11-50 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to an armed services' room in courthouses.
- NDCC 11-11-50 currently requires certain counties to provide a room in county courthouse for veterans of war.
This bill would:
- Allow that rooms to be located in a county office building
- Change rooms from exclusively for war veterans to priority preference of use by war veterans
- Fiscal Note: None
- Removed requirement of "war time"
- Changed from "Rooms" to "an adequate Room"
House Concurred with Senate amendment
Income Tax Deduction for Retired Military Personnel Pay
A BILL for an Act to create and enact a new subdivision to subsection 2 of section 57-38-30.3 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to an income tax deduction for retired military personnel pay; to amend and reenact subdivisions k and l of subsection 1 of section 57-38-01.2 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to an income tax deduction for retired military personnel pay; and to provide an effective date.
- Exempts retired military pay from state income taxes
Repeal of Tobacco Tax Exemption
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact subsection 10 of section 57-36-01, sections 57-36-25 and 57-36-28, and sections 57‑36‑31 and 57‑36‑32 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the excise taxes on tobacco products and the cigarette tax; to repeal section 57‑36‑24 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the exemption from the tobacco tax for products given to the veterans' home and the state hospital; and to provide a continuing appropriation.
Repeals NDCC 57-36-24
- 57-36-24. Exemptions: All gift cigarettes, snuff, cigars, and other tobacco products, not for resale, which are given to the North Dakota veterans' home or the North Dakota state hospital for distribution to the occupants thereof, are exempt from the excise taxes levied under this chapter.
Adds tax revenue to:
Cities: $18.1 Million
Counties $31.3 Million
State General Fund: $13.8 Million
Community Health Trust Fund: $75.4 Million
Study on Treatments for PTSD and Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI)
- A study for nontraditional healing therapies, massage, healing touch, reflexology, stress management, yoga, hyperbaric chamber treatments and gathers information on the needs of women veterans.
- Appropriations: $0.
Veterans' Home Operating Fund
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact section 37-15-14 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the veterans' home operating fund expenditures.
County Veterans Service Officers
Origination: House Government & Veterans Affairs Committee
Would update the requirement of CVSO's to be accredited with NACVSO by August 1, 2011 by removing the date and requiring new CVSO's to attend the NACVSO accreditation training at County expense. Would add qualifications required by Commissioner of Veterans Affairs. Would have changed "May" to "Shall" in working and law requirements.
Fishing License Fees
- Lowers disability level requirement from 100% to 50%
- Adds Unemployability
- Fee goes from $3 to $5
- Fiscal note: $1,425. Not general funds.
Unauthorized Use of Name or Image of Military Members
A BILL for an Act to provide for a legislative council study of the feasibility and desirability of restricting the unauthorized use of the name or image of a current or former member of the military.
- Makes theft of name or image of Armed Forces individual a crime.
Post War Trust Fund (PWTF)
Origination of bill: Commissioner, ACOVA, NDVCC
- Adds $250,000 in general funds to the principal of the PWTF
Disabled Veterans Rent Credit
Origination of bill: Representative Guggisberg, Ron
- Provided renters credit for 50% or higher disabled veterans who would qualify for property tax exemption, but rent.
- Fiscal note: $1,472,000
Appropriation for Transfer to Veterans' Postwar Trust Fund
Origination of bill: Commissioner, ACOVA, NDVCC
- Appropriated $210,000 to the Department of Veterans Affairs to be used in lieu of income generated from the veterans' postwar trust fund for programs authorized by law to benefit and serve veterans or their dependents.
- Appropriated $50,000 to the Department of Veterans Affairs for purchasing vans for the transport of veterans or their dependents. General fund dollars.
- Begins July 1, 2011 - June 30, 2013
Appropriations for Transfer to Veterans' Postwar Trust Fund
Origination: NDDVA, ACOVA
- $210,000 one time funding in lieu of income earned from the PWTF
- $50,000 one time funding for purchase of transportation vans
- Changed NDCC 37-14-14 so that interest earnings from PWTF during current biennium to be spent in next biennium and not in the biennium the income was earned.
Transportation Services for Veterans
A Bill for an Act to amend and reenact section 39-04.2-04 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to conditions for public transportation funding.
Bill would allow disabled veterans to utilize public transportation services without any charge.
- If public transportation provider receives funds from the public transportation fund.
- Discussed amendment to remove "disabled".
- Removed all sections of the bill and replaced with a "Study".
A BILL for an Act to provide for a legislative management study regarding the provision of transportation services to veterans and the impact on transportation service providers.
- Removed study
- returned to original bill before house amendments
House refused to concur
Conference committee assigned
- Senate receded amendments
Passed House and Senate as a study
Admin Practices Act
A BILL for an Act to provide for a legislative council study of agency exemptions from the Administrative Agencies Practice Act.
- Puts ACOVA under the Administrative Agencies Practice Act.
Adjusted Compensation for Deployed Veterans
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact sections 37-28-02 and 37-28-03 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the definition of foreign service and period of service and payment of adjusted compensation for domestic and foreign service; to amend and reenact section 6 of chapter 17 of the 2005 Session Laws, as amended by section 10 of chapter 42 of the 2007 Session Laws, relating to payment of adjusted compensation for veterans; and to declare an emergency.
Uniform Group Insurance Program
A BILL for an Act to create and enact a new subsection to section 54-52-04 and two new sections to chapter 54-52.1 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to expansion of the uniform group insurance program to allow participation by members of the North Dakota national guard; to amend and reenact section 54-52.1-02 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to subgroups under the uniform group insurance program; and to provide a continuing appropriation.
- Allows National Guard members to participate in the state's health insurance plan.
Veterans' Preference Appeals Hearings
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact subsection 1 of section 37-19.1-04 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to veterans' preference.
Occupational Licensing Board
A BILL for an Act to create and enact a new section to chapter 43-51 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to military service member exceptions to occupational licensing board license renewal requirements; to provide for application; and to declare an emergency.
Maintenance of Veterans' Memorial
A BILL for an Act to provide for inspection and repair recommendations for the veterans' memorial on the capitol grounds.
- 63rd Legislative assembly to urge USAF to select GFAFB
- Secretary of State to send resolution to commander of GFAFB, General of USAF and each member of ND Congressional Delegation
Delivery of Veterans' Services by the State and Counties
A concurrent resolution directing the Legislative Council to study the delivery of veterans' services by the state and counties.
HIGHER EDUCATION TO PROVIDE FINANCIAL AID COUNSELING TO VETERANS AND DEPENDENTS
A concurrent resolution urging the State Board of Higher Education to develop a policy and
procedures for providing specific, tailored financial aid counseling to recipients of education
benefits under the Servicemen's Readjustment Act of 1944, as amended, and to include in the
counseling comparisons of those education benefits to other aid packages and financing
options available to the recipients.
This bill would:
- Urge the State Board of Higher Education to develop a policy and procedures for financial aid counceling for recipients of benefits under the Servicemens Readjustment Act of 1944.
FISCAL NOTE: $0
HOUSE AMENDMENTS AND ACTIONS
Military Force Structure in State
A concurrent resolution in support of the efforts of the Congressional Delegation, the Governor's Task Force on Military in North Dakota, the Grand Forks Council on Military Relations, the Minot Task Force 21, and the Fargo-Moorhead (F-M) Air National Guard Support Group to maintain and enhance military force structure and missions in this state and support of state and local officials in their efforts to keep this state a first-class place for members of the armed forces to live and work.
- Supports delegation's efforts to maintain/enhance military force structure in state.
Delivery and Funding of Veterans' Services
A concurrent resolution directing the Legislative Council to study the delivery and funding of veterans' services by the state and counties.
Helmets to Hardhats is a national program that connects transitioning active-duty and reserve component veterans with training and employment opportunities within the construction industry. The intent of the program is to help those with military experience get hired in civilian construction trades that the program's organizers claim are facing a critical labor shortage.
For more information contact: Helmets to Hardhats Phone: (866) 741-6210
Appropriations - North Dakota Veterans Home: Legislative Appropriations Bill
Pre-approved by ND Veterans Home Director and ACOVA.
A BILL for an Act to provide an appropriation for defraying the expenses of the ND Veterans Home. Governors budget rate at 90% of 2015-2017 base budget.
This bill is to be combined with SB2067 by end of session. SB2007 will be final ND Veterans Home budget.
ND Department of Veterans Affairs Budget
A BILL for an Act to provide an appropriation for defraying the expenses of the veterans' home and department of veterans' affairs; to provide for contingent funding; to provide an exception to the moratorium on expansion of basic care bed capacity; to provide legislative intent; and to provide for a report to the budget section.