Military Children Compact
- Extends law allowing state of ND to join in pact with other states to allow children of military members transferred into or out of ND to maintain their grade (year in school) level
Homestead Tax Credit
- Increases property tax exemption limit for disabled veterans from $120,000 full and True ($5,400 taxable value) to $150,000 ($6,750 taxable value)
- Effective date of 12-31-2012. And 12-31-2013 for mobile homes.
- Fiscal note: $477,000. State general funds reimbursement
Melvin Norgard Memorial Fund
- Allow veterans home administrator to expend funds up to $10,000. Over $10,000 must be approved by governing board.
- Requires governing board gain ACOVA approval for expenditures
- Expenditures made solely for projects and programs to benefit and serve the residents of the veterans home.
CVSO as Conservator
- Removes from NDCC 37-14-18 exemption for CVSOs to serve as conservator/fiduciary if appointed by County Commission
- Fiscal note: $0.
Assistance Relief Application Appeal
An ACT to amend and reenact section 37-14-12 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the appeal of an application for relief or assistance provided under a department of veterans' affairs program.
Patriotic License Plate Decals
- Create "Patriotic License Plates" (Decals like military plates)
- Four Patriotic license plates to be added with new ND license plate issue - proceeds go to Veterans PWTF
- $15 initial fee and $10 annual fee
- $10 initial to DOT, $5 initial to PWTF
- $10 annual fee $5 to principal of PWTF $5 available for programs
Deer License for Injured Military Wildlife Project (Wounded Warrior)
- Change from "Wounded Warrior Project" to "Injured Military Wildlife Project of ND"
- Maintained 4 any deer licenses
- Added 6 any white-tailed deer licenses
- Change license valid from "opening of youth deer season through the close of deer season" to "during the period of the deer bow season"
- Fiscal note: $240. Not general fund dollars.
Create Patriotic Number License Plates, DAV Plate Changes
Pre-approved by Commissioner, ACOVA, and NDVCC
A BILL for an Act to create and enact a new section to chapter 39‑04 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to patriotic number plates; and to amend and reenact subdivision j of subsection 2 of section 39‑04‑18 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to disabled veteran motor vehicle registration.
Create three (3) patriotic license plates available to general public
- American Flag
- Bald Eagle
- Boony Stomper
- Funds from plates would go to Veterans Post War Trust Fund Principal
- Allow surviving spouse to retain one set of plates
- Allow eligible veteran the option of other veteran plates and retain registration exemption
- Fiscal Note: $488,532
Appropriation for Vehicles for Transportation-Related Services for Veterans
Bill pre-approved by Commissioner
A BILL for an Act to provide an appropriation to the department of veterans' affairs; and to declare an emergency.
- Allow ND DVA to accept and expend federal grant dollars for rural veterans transportation program
Grants to Identify and Provide Services to Veterans Exposed to Agent Orange
Pre-approved by Commissioner, ACOVA, and NDVCC
A BILL for an Act to provide an appropriation for the identification of and provision of services to veterans exposed to agent orange.
- Provide $100,000 grant fund to the ND chapter of the Vietnam Veterans of America for purposes of reaching out to Vietnam Veterans to educate them on Agent Orange.
- Changed from $100,000 to $50,000
- Added additional $25,000 from environmental and rangeland protection fund
Veterans' Affairs Administrative Committee Membership and Compensation
A BILL for an Act to create and enact four new sections to chapter 37‑15 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to governance of the veterans' home; to amend and reenact sections 37‑15‑03, 37‑15‑07, 37‑18‑07, 37‑18‑12, 37‑18.1‑01, 37‑18.1‑02, 37‑18.1‑03, and 37‑18.1‑04 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to county veterans' service officers, governance of the veterans' home, the commissioner of the department of veterans' affairs, and the administrative committee on veterans' affairs.
- $50,000 appropriation of general funds to ND Department of Veterans Affairs to provide grants for the identification and provision of services to ND Veterans who had been exposed to Agent Orange during the Vietnam conflict.
- Requires ND Department of Veterans Affairs to report to the budget section on the use and outcome of the grants awarded
- Appropriations: $50,000
Veteran Scholarship Grants and Scholarship Program
A BILL for an Act to create and enact a new chapter to title 15 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the creation of a veteran scholarship program; and to provide an appropriation.
- Provide up to a $1,500 scholarship grants per semester to qualified ND Veterans
Wounded Warrior Project Deer Licenses
An ACT to create and enact a new subsection to section 20.1-02-04 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the duty of the game and fish director to issue deer licenses to the wounded warrior project.
Armed Services' Member Room in County Buildings
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact section 11-11-50 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to an armed services' room in courthouses.
- NDCC 11-11-50 currently requires certain counties to provide a room in county courthouse for veterans of war.
This bill would:
- Allow that room to be located in a county office building
- Change room from exclusively for war veterans to priority preference of use by war veterans
- Fiscal Note: None
Repeal of Tobacco Tax Exemption
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact subsection 10 of section 57-36-01, sections 57-36-25 and 57-36-28, and sections 57‑36‑31 and 57‑36‑32 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the excise taxes on tobacco products and the cigarette tax; to repeal section 57‑36‑24 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the exemption from the tobacco tax for products given to the veterans' home and the state hospital; and to provide a continuing appropriation.
Repeals NDCC 57-36-24
- 57-36-24. Exemptions: All gift cigarettes, snuff, cigars, and other tobacco products, not for resale, which are given to the North Dakota veterans' home or the North Dakota state hospital for distribution to the occupants thereof, are exempt from the excise taxes levied under this chapter.
Adds tax revenue to:
Cities: $18.1 Million
Counties $31.3 Million
State General Fund: $13.8 Million
Community Health Trust Fund: $75.4 Million
Study on Treatments for PTSD and Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI)
- A study for nontraditional healing therapies, massage, healing touch, reflexology, stress management, yoga, hyperbaric chamber treatments and gathers information on the needs of women veterans.
- Appropriations: $0.
County Veterans Service Officers
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact section 37-14-18 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to county veterans' service officers.
Fishing License Fees
- Lowers disability level requirement from 100% to 50%
- Adds Unemployability
- Fee goes from $3 to $5
- Fiscal note: $1,425. Not general funds.
Post War Trust Fund (PWTF)
- Adds $250,000 in general funds to the principal of the PWTF
Disabled Veterans Rent Credit
- Provided renters credit for 50% or higher disabled veterans who would qualify for property tax exemption, but rent.
- Fiscal note: $1,472,000
Appropriation for Transfer to Veterans' Postwar Trust Fund
- Appropriated $210,000 to the Department of Veterans Affairs to be used in lieu of income generated from the veterans' postwar trust fund for programs authorized by law to benefit and serve veterans or their dependents.
- Appropriated $50,000 to the Department of Veterans Affairs for purchasing vans for the transport of veterans or their dependents. General fund dollars.
- Begins July 1, 2011 - June 30, 2013
Appropriations for Transfer to Veterans' Postwar Trust Fund
An ACT to amend and reenact section 37-14-14 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the veterans' postwar trust fund; and to provide for an appropriation to the department of veterans' affairs and for a transfer from the department of veterans' affairs.
Transportation Services for Veterans
A Bill for an Act to amend and reenact section 39-04.2-04 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to conditions for public transportation funding.
Bill would allow disabled veterans to utilize public transportation services without any charge.
- If public transportation provider receives funds from the public transportation fund.
- Discussed amendment to remove "disabled".
- Removed all sections of the bill and replaced with a "Study".
A BILL for an Act to provide for a legislative management study regarding the provision of transportation services to veterans and the impact on transportation service providers.
- Removed study
- returned to original bill before house amendments
- 63rd Legislative assembly to urge USAF to select GFAFB
- Secretary of State to send resolution to commander of GFAFB, General of USAF and each member of ND Congressional Delegation
ND DVA Budget
- Veterans Affairs: Adds one FTE
- Veterans Affairs: $15,000 for website improvements
- Veterans Home funding: Demolish old veterans home $1,121,000
- Veterans Home Approved: Hold over Veterans Home construction funds into next biennium to complete all billings
- Veterans Home Approved: Carry over funding for Electronic Health record system into next biennium
- Veterans Home Approved: Authorization of Melvin Norgard funds for construction of a workshop $788,200
- Reduced Veterans Home operating budget by $50,000
- Reduced Veterans Home and Veterans Affairs salary enhancements by $455,431
- Added $10,000 to Veterans Affairs for Stand Down event grants
- Added one time funding of $30,000 to Veterans Affairs for purchase of transportation vans
- Added requirement for Veterans Affairs to prepare a transportation van replacement plan for 64th Legislative assembly and seek state funding for vans based on the plan
Adjutant General (National Guard Budget) Appropriations
A BILL for an Act to provide an appropriation for defraying the expenses of the office of the adjutant general; to provide for transfers; to provide exemptions; and to declare an emergency.
A BILL for an Act to provide an appropriation for defraying the expenses of various state departments and institutions; and to declare an emergency.
Tax Exemption: Military retirement Pay.
Pre-Approved by ACOVA and NDVCC
A BILL for an Act to create and enact a new subdivision to subsection 2 of section 57-38-30.3 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to an income tax deduction for retired military personnel pay; and to provide an effective date.
- Military retirement pay exempt from ND income tax
- Military retirement payments to surviving spouse exempt from ND income tax
Honor Guard Leave
An ACT to create and enact a new section to chapter 54-06 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to honor guard leave for state employees.
NDNG State Active Duty
- Protects National Guard members from employer discrimination when involuntarily activated for State Active Duty emergencies for more than twenty regular working days in a calendar year. Under NDCC 37-29-03
- Fiscal note: $0
ND National Guard UCMJ and License Plates
- Adds state active duty time to be subject to discipline as set forth in USMJ
- Changes to veteran definition dates for adjusted compensation (war bonus)
- Adds motorcycle plates available for NDNG license plates
- Fiscal note: $0
Interment at Veterans’ Cemetery Eligibility
- Add: "a child who is without any sibling and who survives the veteran" to eligibility for internment at ND State Veterans Cemetary
- Fiscal note: $350,000. Federal VA Cemetery Grants
National Guard: State Employee Retirement Plans and Contributions
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact sections 54‑52‑06.2, 54‑52‑06.4, and 54‑52‑06.5, and subsection 3 of section 54‑52‑17 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to state employee retirement plans and retirement contributions by national guard security officers and firefighters.
Property Tax Credit for Disabled Veterans
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact section 57‑02‑08.8 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the property tax credit for disabled veterans and extension of the disabled veterans' property tax credit to the disabled veteran's surviving spouse; and to provide an effective date.
Changes to Property Tax exemption for Disabled Veterans to include credit for value of land:
- Removes the wording: of the fixtures, buildings, and improvements
- Changes from exemption to credit
Changes to Property Tax exemption for surviving spouse of disabled veteran:
- Allows a remarried spouse to regain eligibility if subsequent marriage ends
- Removed exemption for re-married spouse.
ND National Guard-Emergency Management
- Allows local emergency management organizations to enter into interstate mutual aid agreements with nearby political subdivisions.
- Allows 100% disabled Veterans with DAV plates to park in handicapped parking without additional handicapped parking tab
- Fiscal note: $0