Map showing locations and levels of dioxin contamination in Vietnam.
Veterans' Home Budget
Origination of bill: NDDVA, Veterans' Home
Appropriations for ND DVA and Veterans Home Budgets.
Adds one time funding for discharge project and website for NDDVA.
- Creates and enacts a new section to NDCC 37-15 by creating a Melvin Norgard Memorial Fund which all monies donated to home will be deposited in this fund, the Governing board of the Veterans Home will recommend projects and programs to be funded by this fund and appropriations shall consider the recommendations.
- Adds studies to determine the options for the old Veterans Home and to study the delivery of services to Veterans. (These studies were not selected by the Legislative Management Committee to move forward during the interim.)
Used mineral rights donated monies to fund
- Re-grading of Oxbow, sprinkler system, and landscaping: $126,500
- Move gazebo: $75,000
- Architect fees - shop: $10,000
Appropriations - Veterans Home Budget
A BILL for an Act to provide an appropriation for defraying the expenses of the veterans' home; to provide an exemption; and to declare an emergency
A BILL for an Act to provide an appropriation for defraying the expenses of the veterans' home and department of veterans' affairs; and to declare an emergency.
Adjutant Generals Office Budget (NDNG)
- Added:$600,000 additional for Veterans Bonus Program
- Added additional $44,098 for Civil Air Patrol
- Added additional $110,000 for Tuition Assistance
- Added additional $70,089 for Veterans Cemetery ($647,006 total)
- Added additional $9,531 for Reintegration program
A BILL for an Act to provide an appropriation for defraying the expenses of the adjutant general; to provide an exemption to section 54-44.1-11 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to unexpended appropriations; and to declare an emergency.
A BILL for an Act making an appropriation for defraying the expenses of various state departments and institutions; and to declare an emergency.
Appropriations - ND Department of Veterans Affairs Budget
Pre-approved by Commissioner, ACOVA and NDVCC
A BILL for an Act to provide an appropriation for defraying the expenses of the department of veterans' affairs.
Requested budget changes:
- Increase Post War Trust Fund Principal by $1,750,000.Not Approved.
- Grant funding for Veteran Service Organizations for NSO's $300,000. Not Approved.
- Appoint State Approving Agency (SAA) to ND DVA. No state funding.-included in Governor's budget, House approved, Senate approved.Approved.
- Salary equity funding of $55,100-included in governors budget. -Removed by House, Added back by Senate,Removed in Conference committee. Not Approved.
- Add training position to NDDVA $135,575. Not Approved.
- Website upgrade: $60,935. Not Approved.
- Temporary employee funding of $59,488. Not Approved.
- Continued funding for PTSD dogs at $100,000 -Senate added to budget at $50,000. Approved.
- Continued funding for Agent Orange Outreach program at $50,000. Not Approved. Approved in HB 1372.
- increase stand down budget from $10,000 to $20,000 -included in governors budget.-House reduced to $15,000 added requirements, Senate increased to $20,000 removed requirements set by House.Approved at $20,000.
- Continued funding for transportation vans at $15,000-included in governors budget, House approved, Senate approved.Approved.
- Add marketing and advertising to budget at $20,000. Not Approved.
- Add PTSD and TBI treatment study at $108,352. Not Approved.
Protection and Reimbursement for Property Damage in Emergency
- Protects NDNG and Emergency Management from liability in natural disaster relief efforts
- Provides reimbursements to property owners for damages
Disorderly Conduct at Funerals of Military/Veterans
A BILL for an Act to create and enact a new section to chapter 12.1-31 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to disorderly conduct at a funeral; to provide a penalty; and to declare an emergency.
Servicemembers Civil Relief Act
A BILL for an Act to create and enact a new subdivision to subsection 1 of section 57-38-40 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the filing period for a claim for credit or refund attributable to the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act by a nonresident member of the United States armed services; to provide an effective date; and to provide an expiration date.
NDNG Members Pay for State Active Duty
- Adds to NG pay allowances: “Each enlisted member shall also receive a state active duty pay enhancement of one hundred dollars for every fourteen consecutive days spent on state active duty”.
- Adds to NG pay allowances: “Each commissioned officer member shall also receive a state active duty pay enhancement of one hundred dollars for every fourteen consecutive days spent on state active duty”.
- Emergency declared on this bill
- Fiscal note: $10,000 for 2011-2013. $40,000 for 2013-2015.
Veterans Home and Veterans Affairs Governance
A BILL for an Act to create and enact a new section to chapter 37-18 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the department of veterans' affairs employees; to amend and reenact section 37-14-18 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to county veterans' service officers; to provide for reports to the legislative council; and to provide an appropriation.
NDNG-Allows Adjutant General to Provide
- Adds "Adjutant General Coin" to NDCC 37-01
- Adds "Disaster Response Coin" to NDCC 37-01
- Adds a North Dakota state flag may be presented upon retirement to NDNG members with 20 or more years of military service
- Fiscal note: $20,000. No General funds appropriated
Political Subdivisions Exemption
A BILL for an Act to create and enact two new sections to chapter 54-44.3 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to authorizing political subdivisions to request an exemption from coverage under the state merit system; and to amend and reenact section 54-44.3-12.1 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to revisions to the compensation plan established by North Dakota human resource management services.
Purchase of Service Credit for Qualified Military Service
A BILL for an Act to create and enact a new section to chapter 39-03.1, a new section to chapter 54-52, a new section to chapter 54-52.1, a new subsection to section 54-52.6-02, and a new section to chapter 54-52.6 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to military service retirement credit and temporary employee participation in the defined contribution retirement plan under the public employees retirement system and the acceptance and expenditure of funds by the retirement board for the uniform group insurance program from third parties; to amend and reenact various sections and subsections of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the purchase of service credit for qualified military service, highway patrol retirement options, compliance with Internal Revenue Code provisions, confidentiality of records, purchase of sick leave, eligibility for the law enforcement retirement plan, temporary employee participation in the defined contribution retirement plan, and retirement benefit options under the public employees retirement system; to repeal sections 54-52-19.2 and 54-52.6-09.3 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to prior service credit under the public employees retirement system and retirement contributions for military service; to provide a continuing appropriation; to provide an appropriation; and to provide an effective date.
WSI Coverage for NG Members while on State Active Duty
- Adds definition of wages for ND members while on state active duty to include income from federal employment and may be included in determining the average weekly wage.
- Fiscal note: $0.
North Dakota National Guard Operations
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact sections 37‑01‑43, 37‑04‑16, 37‑07.2‑01, subsection 6 of 37‑28‑02, and section 37‑28‑03 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the operation of the North Dakota national guard; and to declare an emergency.
Criminal History Record Checks
A BILL for an Act to create and enact a new subdivision to subsection 2 of section 12-60-24 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to criminal history record checks for the office of the adjutant general; and to declare an emergency.
Veterans In Court
A BILL for an Act to create and enact a new subsection to section 12.1-32-02 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to sentencing of current and former members of the military.
Veterans found guilty of a crime court shall
- inquire into military service
- inquire into veteran having any behavior health condition
- Conduct presentence investigation and prepare report regarding treatment options with federal, state and local programs
- Consider treatment recommendations in imposing sentence
- Fiscal note: $0
- Replaced "Is Convicted" with "has pled or is found guilty"
- Removed requirement of previously being diagnosed with a mental illness
- Added "there is reason to believe there is a behavioral health condition"
Passed House with amendments. 78,13,0
- Changed bill to a study
Passed Senate with amendments: 46,0,0
House refused to concur
Conference Committee assigned: Representatives Paur, Maragos, Delmore and Senators Armstrong, Hogue, and Nelson.
- Changed wording of the study
Passed House: 88,4
Passed Senate: 46,0
Visitation Proceedings Involving Military Parent
- Courts to take particular care to ensure child of military member called to active duty or may be called to active duty has maximum opportunity for contact with parent
- Military members call to active duty service may not be a factor in court decisions to grant to deny a petition for visitation
- Military member may petition for visitation rights for family member
- Fiscal note: $0
Guardian Powers Parent Deployed
- Allow parent or guardian of a minor child or incapacitated person authority to delegate guardianship to another person for up to 24 months
- Declared an emergency
- Fiscal note: $0
Origination of Bill: Tax Commissioner
Changes Property Tax exemption for Disabled Veterans from the first "One hundred twenty thousand dollars of true and full value" to "Five thousand four hundred dollars of taxable value". This calculates out to the same amount of tax savings. The change keeps the assessed value of the property the same for reporting and statistical purposes.
- Adds "Mandatory evacuation order to NDCC 37-17.1-10". Reads: "A local disaster, emergency or mandatory evacuation order may be declared" ...
- Allows local executive officers of city or county to order mandatory evacuations
Residency for Tuition Purposes
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact section 15-10-19.1 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to resident students for tuition purposes; and to declare an emergency.
- This bill required to comply with new Federal GI Bill regulations
- Adds new subsection: A covered individual as defined by section 702 of Public Law No. 113-146 [128 stat. 1797; 38 U.S.C. 3679].
- Fiscal note: $0
Appointment of CVSOs
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact section 37-14-18 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to appointment of a county veterans' service officer.
Veterans Employment Preference
Bill Origination: Representative Schatz, Mike
Pre-approved by Commissioner, ACOVA, and NDVCC
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact section 37-19.1-02 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the employment preference for veterans.
Removes certain exemptions opening them to veterans preference
- Superintendent of Schools
- School teacher
- Chancellor and Vice Chancellor
- Presidents or Executive deans
- Vice Presidents
- Assistants to the President
- Athletic Team coaches of board institutions
- Fiscal note: None
Tuition Waivers and Grants for National Guard Members
A BILL for an Act to amend and reenact sections 37-07.1-02 and 37-07.2-01 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to tuition waivers and grants for national guard members; and to repeal section 37-07.1-06.1 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the national guard tuition fund.
Hunting License as ND Resident
- Allowed members of US armed forces, and members of their household, stationed in ND to enter lottery for deer and turkey licenses as residents
- Declared an emergency bill
- Fiscal note: $51,600. Not General fund dollars.
Hunting License as ND Resident-No Lottery Required
- Adds "Military member in state on duty or leave"
- Adds "ND Driver's License number or ND non-driver photo ID" as proof of residency
- Allows resident hunting licensing without lottery for active duty military members on leave or stationed in ND and residents of ND serving on active duty
- Effective date April 1, 2014
- Fiscal note: $32,000. Not General fund dollars.
Restrictions on the sale of flags of the USA
A BILL for an Act to create and enact a new section to chapter 44-08 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to restrictions on the purchase of flags of the United States of America.
Honor and Remember Flag
The official state honor and remember flag is the national honor and remember flag for fallen members of the armed forces. The governor by proclamation may require the display of the state honor and remember flag on state property at certain times and places to honor and remember the lives of all members of the United States armed forces who have lost their lives in the line of duty.
Women Veterans Month
Origination: NDDVA, Rep. Grande
March of each year is Women Veterans' Month. Each year the governor shall issue a proclamation on March first in honor and remembrance of surviving and departed women veterans who have served honorably and with courage on behalf of the United States of America since the American Revolutionary War.