The primary responsibility of a State Approving Agency is to determine if an education or training program - offered within the state - is an appropriate way for veterans, active-duty military and their dependents to utilize their VA education benefits.
North Dakota's SAA is responsible for:
- Reviewing, evaluating and approving programs based on state and federal criteria
- Conducting on-site inspection visits to facilities requesting program approval
- Conducting on-site compliance visits to approved facilities
- Providing technical assistance
- Engaging in outreach activities that foster use of the GI Bill
- Helping military installations provide base personnel with educational opportunities
Students who take advantage of their VA education benefits work with VA certifying officials on their home campuses to document enrollment, report changes in status or report circumstances affecting their benefits to the Department of Veterans Affairs.