1. "Adjutant general" means the adjutant general of North Dakota.
2. "Beneficiary" in relation to a deceased veteran, means, in the order named:
a. The surviving unremarried husband or wife as of the date of signing the application;
b. The surviving child or children and the lawful issue of a deceased child or children by right of representation;
c. The surviving person standing in loco parentis; or
d. The surviving parent or parents.
3. "Domestic service" means service by a veteran during the period of service which is not foreign service.
4. "Foreign service" means service by a veteran after December 5, 1992, for which the veteran received an armed forces expeditionary medal or campaign badge or performed service overseas in direct support to the global war on terror.
5. "Honorable and faithful" means service evidenced by:
a. An honorable discharge, or its equivalent;
b. In the case of an officer, a certificate of service; and
c. In the case of a veteran who has not been discharged, a certificate from the appropriate service authority that the veteran's service was honorable and faithful.
6. "Period of service" means the period of time beginning December 5, 1992, and ending June 30, 2011.
7. a. "Resident" means a veteran who was a bona fide resident of the state of North Dakota at the time of mobilization or, in the case of an active component member, at the time of deployment for which the member received an expeditionary medal or campaign badge, as determined under the rules of the adjutant general and the laws of this state. "Resident" includes all mobilized members of the North Dakota national guard.
b. "Veteran" means a member of the national guard or reserve component who was activated under 10 U.S.C. 12301, as effective through October 2004, and 10 U.S.C. 12302, as effective through 2004, and who completed honorable and faithful service of more than thirty days on active duty in the armed forces of the United States at any time during the period of service, or active component member awarded the expeditionary medal or campaign badge for service after December 5, 1992, who was a resident of the state of North Dakota, and who has not received bonus or adjusted compensation from another state for the period of service.