nd.gov - The Official Portal for North Dakota State Government
North Dakota: Legendary. Follow the trail of legends

ND State Park Fees

Benefit Category: State
ND Parks & Rec Logo

Any North Dakota resident who meets one of the following criteria may apply for a free lifetime park entrance permit valid at any North Dakota state park or recreation area.
· A veterans allotment for 50% or greater disability which is deemed a service-connected disability
· Was a former prisoner of war (POW)
· The spouse of a deceased 50% disabled veteran deemed a service-connected disability or POW 

Eligibility: You must be a North Dakota resident and submit this form along with a copy of the Benefit Summary letter from the Veterans Administration indicating you receive a veteran benefit for 50% total disability which is deemed a service connected injury or that you were held as a prisoner of war.

If you do not have a copy of this benefit letter in your possession, you may contact the Department of Veteran Affairs and have them mail you a copy. 


Submission: Application and verification papers must be submitted to:

North Dakota State Parks and Recreation Department
1600 E Century Ave Suite 3
PO Box 5594
Bismarck, ND 58506 

Ph. 701.328.5357
Email: parkrec@nd.gov

Approved applicants will receive a billfold lifetime North Dakota State Park and Recreation entrance permit. This card allows you and those with you entrance into a North Dakota State Park and Recreation Area. Please show this card along with your ID when you arrive at any of our North Dakota State Park and Recreation areas. The park or recreation area will then give you an exempt pass for the day you are visiting to be placed in your windshield. 

The application is available online:

For more information, visit:  https://www.parkrec.nd.gov/dailyannual-permits


Discharge Requests

Most Veteran’s benefits require that applicants provide a copy of their Form DD 214 or discharge record, which is evidence of their veteran status. This is an important document and must be safeguarded. In the State of North Dakota separation documents are considered confidential and privileged NDCC 37-18-11 (13). National Guard members may receive a NGB22 and/or NGB23 upon obtaining 20 years of satisfactory service (20 year letter).