Why Does VA Provide a Burial Flag?
A United States flag is provided, at no cost, to drape the casket or accompany the urn of a deceased veteran who served honorably in the U. S. Armed Forces. It is furnished to honor the memory of a veteran’s military service to his or her country. VA will furnish a burial flag for memorialization for each other than dishonorable discharged.
- veteran who served during wartime
- veteran who died on active duty after May 27, 1941
- veteran who served after January 31, 1955
- peacetime veteran who was discharged or released before June 27, 1950
- certain persons who served in the organized military forces of the Commonwealth of the Philippines while in service of the U.S. Armed Forces and who died on or after April 25, 1951
certain former members of the National Guard and Selected Reserves
- Served under USA title 10 or...
- Completed initial obligation (one enlistment contract) or...
- Were discharged for a disability incurred or aggravated in line of duty or...
- Died while a member of the Selected Reserve or National Guard or...
- At the time of death would have been eligible for retirement at age 60
Who Is Eligible to Receive the Burial Flag?
Generally, the flag is given to the next-of-kin, as a keepsake, after its use during the funeral service. When there is no next-of-kin, VA will furnish the flag to a friend making request for it. For those VA national cemeteries with an Avenue of Flags, families of veterans buried in these national cemeteries may donate the burial flags of their loved ones to be flown on patriotic holidays.
How Can You Apply?
You may apply for the flag by completing VA Form 21-2008, Application for United States Flag for Burial Purposes. (pdf)
You may get a flag at any VA regional office or U.S. Post Office. Generally, the funeral director will help you obtain the flag.
The North Dakota National Guard funeral honors can also assist.
Every eligible veteran is entitled to just one free burial flag. If family members or friends want a burial flag they will have to purchase or find other resources. Options to purchase flags: CVS Flag Store or the VFW Store.