September 30 and October 1, 2005
VA Medical Center, Room 3154
Meeting called to order by Chairman Rudy Jenson. Pledge of Allegiance, followed by moment of silence for POW/MIAs and troops serving overseas.
Roll CallMembers PRESENT:
|Daryl Beard||Dave Hilleren||Dean Overby|
|Carl Bloomquist||Rudy Jenson||Rick Ryan|
|Wally Buckingham||Orletta Kilen||Lyle Schuchard|
|Larry Dakken||Arnold Maier||Gary Skarphol|
|John Hanson||Jerry Meske||Dave Vandergon|
Motion by Buckingham to accept the minutes of the July 29 & 30, 2005 meeting, second by Hilleren. Motion passed.
A tour of the VA Medical Center was given by Jack Barrows, Chief Voluntary Services.
Doug Kenyon, VA Center Director: Will be submitting plans for Community Based Outpatient Clinics in Williston, Dickinson and Jamestown.
Rosalyn Cole, VA Associate Director: Discussed Veterans Benefits Forum held at Fort Yates.
Tim Nolz, Job Service North Dakota:
- Distributed forms used by Job Service in determining whether a veteran receives funding from postwar trust fund interest earnings.
- Received funding to continue the 8.5 FTEs. These are the LVERs and DVOPs positions throughout the state
- Attended tri-state conference regarding the concern for continued funding of these positions.
Motion by Bloomquist that the Chairman appoint a committee to write a letter to the congressional delegation regarding the issue of fully funding the LVER and DVOP positions in the state, second by Maier. Motion passed.
Chairman Jenson appointed Jerry Meske, Dave Vandergon, and Rick Ryan to the committee with Tim Nolz in an advisory capacity.
StandDown - Jerry Meske
An estimated 43 veterans attended the StandDown held in Bismarck. It was well supported by the veterans organizations and the community. Paperwork will be submitted for expenses so reimbursement can be made to the Postwar Trust Fund. Jerry thanked the committee for funding the event.
Governor signed a Proclamation, "Hire A Veteran Month" designating October 2005 as the month. Copies distributed to the committee.
The Governor will also be signing a proclamation for Veterans Day.
Chairman Jenson received a letter from the Governor stating an appointment will be made to the Workforce Development Council in an ex-officio capacity. In 2006, there will be five openings on the council and a veteran will be appointed to fill one of those positions.
Discussion on funding ACOVA meetings from the Postwar Trust Fund interest earnings. Concensus of committee to make this a priority in the next legislative session.
Committee recessed for subcommittee meetings.
October 1, 2005
Meeting called to order by Chairman Jenson. Pledge of Allegiance followed by a Moment of Silence for POW/MIAs and those serving overseas.
Roll Call:Members PRESENT:
|Daryl Beard||Rudy Jenson||Dean Overby|
|Carl Bloomquist||Orletta Kilen||Rick Ryan|
|Larry Dakken||Arnold Maier||Lyle Schuchard|
|Dave Hilleren||Jerry Meske||Dave Vandergon|
|Wally Buckingham||John Hanson|
|Carl Bloomquist||Dave Vandergon|
Subcommittee on Veterans Affairs: Gary Skarphol, Chair
- Approved Policy that Department staff and ACOVA members, including eligible spouses and dependents may apply for a veterans' aid loan and /or a hardship grant.
- Reviwed Department's operational plan and made provisions for changes.
- Accepted suggested response to Recommendation 2-4 of the audit that the Committee's composition and appointment process is appropriate to represent the 60,000 plus veterans and their families in the state of North Dakota.
- Recommended keeping the optical grant to a two-year interval.
- Committee discussed Commissioner's evalution and a report will be put together and a meeting scheduled in October with the Commissioner.
- Veterans Benefits Specialist position was listed with Job Service and the State. All applications are due by 5:00pm on Monday, October 4, 2005.
Motion by Ryan that the report given by subcommittee chairman Gary Skarphol be adopted, second by Overby. Motion passed.
Legislative Committee Report: Rick Ryan, Chair
Letters to be written to the Department,Veterans Home and the North Dakota
Veterans Coordinating Council on notifying the committee on any possible legislation.
Ryan moved to adopted report, second by Dakken. Motion Passed.
Budget Committee Report: Lyle Schuchard, Chair
Maier moved to adopt report, second by Skarphol. Motion passed.
Appeals Committee Report: Dean Overby, Chair
There are no appeals at this time.
Overby moved to adopt report, second by Skarphol. Motion passed.
Postwar Trust Fund Committee Report: Orletta Kilen, Acting Chair
- Approved paying actual expenses for this Administrative Committee meeting.
- Approved setting aside $1,000 for Chairman's or his designee's travel.
Kilen moved to adopt report, second by Skarphol. Motion passed.
Motion by Overby to obligate $20,000 for committee travel, second by Skarphol. Motion passed.
Introduction of Norris Braaten, Chair of the North Dakota Veterans Home Governing Board.
Department of Veterans Affairs Report: Bob Hanson, Commissioner
- Letter from Attorney General's office regarding posting classified positions for veterans preference purposes.
- Report on National Association of State Directors of Veterans Affairs Conference held in Seattle, WA August.
Recommendation on suggested response for 2-4 dealing with ACOVA committee size.
Motion by Skarphol to accept suggested response, second by Bloomquist. Motion passed.
Veterans Home Governing Board Report: Norris Braaten, Chair
Braaten requested report on Administrator's performance evaluation be adopted by committee.
Motion by Beard to accept Chairman's report, second by Ryan. Motion passed.
Veterans Home Report: Neal Asper, Administrator
Publication, "Scuttlebutt" will be available on the Home's website.
Resident transportation issue discussed. Would like to get a smaller van for easier use in getting residents to the clinic downtown
Chairman Jenson reviewed the letter received from North Dakota Job Service regarding guidelines used in their disbursing the postwar trust fund earnings they have received from the committee.
Purple Heart Memorial: Arnold Maier
Approval given by the Planning Commission to place memorial at the capitol grounds. Temporary plans are to have the dedication set for November 11th.
Time & Place for next meeting: December 2 & 3, 2005 - Bismarck (Comfort Suites)
Introduction of Bill Goetz, Chief of Staff, Governor's Office
Meeting recessed for tour of Veterans Home, given by Liz King.
Bill Goetz, Chief of Staff Governor's Office
The committee has a responsibility to the veterans of this state to show leadership in dealing with veterans' issues. Serving on this committee is a commitment that shouldn't be taken lightly. The Governor commends the committee members for meeting the challenges over the recent years and looks forward to working with them in the next legislative session.