nd.gov - The Official Portal for North Dakota State Government
North Dakota: Legendary. Follow the trail of legends
ndTax logo
Office of State Tax Commissioner, Ryan Rauschenberger : State of North Dakota
About Tax Dept. | Misc Forms/Pubs | Laws and Regs. | Links | Media Center | Newsletters Subscription
Home  | Frequently Asked Questions | Contact Us Meet the Commissioner | Mission Statement

rss for North Dakota Office of State Tax Commissioner YouTube North Dakota Office of State Tax Commissioner facebook logo rss for North Dakota Office of State Tax Commissioner
» Admin. and Research
» Alcohol
» Coal
» Corporation Income
» Estate
» Fiduciary
» Financial Institutions
» Fuels
» Income Tax Withholding
» Individual Income
» Oil and Gas Severance
» Property
» Sales and Use
» S Corp and Partnership
» Telecommunications
» Tobacco

» Disaster Relief
» Tax Incentives
» Tax Professionals

Career Opportunities
Frequently Asked Questions
Miscellaneous Tax Forms and Publications

600 E. Boulevard Ave.
  Bismarck, ND 58505-0599
  701.328.7088 phone
  701.328.3700 fax
  877.328.7088 toll-free
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Beth Boustead, Public Information Specialist, 701.328.3039
Monday, July 18, 2011

FONG: Tax Department Extends Filing Relief for Taxpayers Impacted By Souris River Flooding

BISMARCK, N.D. North Dakota Tax Commissioner Cory Fong announced today that the North Dakota Tax Department has granted an extension to file North Dakota tax returns for sales and use tax, motor fuels taxes, and income tax withholding for individuals and businesses affected by the recent flooding along the Souris River in Ward, McHenry, and Renville Counties, including the communities of Burlington, Minot, Minot AFB, Sawyer, Surrey, Towner, and Velva.

"Thousands of North Dakotans have been affected by extensive flooding that has damaged many homes and businesses in and around Minot and the Souris River basin," said Fong. "The Tax Department is ready to help those residents by offering this extension."

Taxpayers in Ward, McHenry, and Renville Counties who have been affected by the flood have until August 31, 2011 to file returns and pay the tax for North Dakota motor fuel returns normally due July 25th and sales tax and income tax withholding that would have been due by July 31, 2011. In addition, all business tax returns that were previously extended to August 15 are now extended to August 31. Previously extended returns are the May monthly business tax returns that were originally due in the last week of June. No penalty or interest will be charged on any tax due on eligible state tax returns filed and paid by the extended due date.

"The recent flood conditions throughout the state have affected many individuals, businesses, and residents," said Fong. "Any taxpayer excluded from this extension that has been affected by the flooding and is having difficulty meeting filing deadlines, is encouraged to contact the Tax Department and we will do what we can to work with them on a case-by-case basis."

The Tax Department advises taxpayers to continue filing their returns using the established due dates whenever possible. Taxpayers who lost their records and need a copy of their federal or state income tax return can contact the Office of State Tax Commissioner for a free copy.

"We understand that the flood conditions across the state may be making filing on time difficult at best and the Tax Department is doing what we can to provide some measure of relief," said Fong. "Taxpayers simply need to get in touch with us to determine what option is available to them."

Individuals with questions or concerns about state individual income tax filing deadlines, or need assistance with filing state tax returns, or have other tax-related questions are encouraged to visit the Office of State Tax Commissioner's web site at www.nd.gov/tax or call the Tax Department at 877.328.7088 or 701.328.7088.

Fong also mentioned that the IRS has available two helpful publications, Publication 547 Casualty, Disaster, and Theft and Publication 584 Casualty, Disaster, and Theft Loss Workbook which can be accessed on the IRS web site at www.irs.gov. The publications are designed to help homeowners and businesses affected by disasters such as flooding.

For more information about any federal relief or extensions, taxpayers should visit the IRS web site at www.irs.gov or call the IRS at 800.829.1040 for individuals. For businesses with federal tax-related questions, they should call the IRS at 800.829.4933.

# # #

Contact Info | FAQ | Disclaimer | Feedback | Privacy Policy | Taxpayer Bill of Rights | Voluntary Disclosure | State Holidays

XHTML Validation Link CSS Validation Link Priority 2 Accessibility Link