nd.gov - The Official Portal for North Dakota State Government
North Dakota: Legendary. Follow the trail of legends
ndTax logo
Office of State Tax Commissioner, Ryan Rauschenberger : State of North Dakota
About Tax Dept. | Misc Forms/Pubs | Laws and Regs. | Links | Media Center | Newsletters Subscription
Home  | Frequently Asked Questions | Contact Us Meet the Commissioner | Mission Statement

rss for North Dakota Office of State Tax Commissioner YouTube North Dakota Office of State Tax Commissioner facebook logo rss for North Dakota Office of State Tax Commissioner
» Admin. and Research
» Alcohol
» Coal
» Corporation Income
» Estate
» Fiduciary
» Financial Institutions
» Fuels
» Income Tax Withholding
» Individual Income
» Oil and Gas Severance
» Property
» Sales and Use
» S Corp and Partnership
» Telecommunications
» Tobacco

» Disaster Relief
» Tax Incentives
» Tax Professionals

Career Opportunities
Frequently Asked Questions
Miscellaneous Tax Forms and Publications

600 E. Boulevard Ave.
  Bismarck, ND 58505-0599
  701.328.7088 phone
  701.328.3700 fax
  877.328.7088 toll-free
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Cory Fong, Tax Commissioner, 701-328-2770
Friday, June 16, 2006  

Gas Tax Refund Deadline is June 30

BISMARCK, N.D. – Tax Commissioner Cory Fong today reminded certain eligible consumers, such as farmers, ranchers, industrial, and Native Americans, that the deadline to apply for a refund of motor fuel taxes paid during 2005 is quickly approaching. That deadline is June 30.

“We want all eligible consumers to take advantage of this opportunity to get some relief, in light of record gas prices,” Fong said. “The state offers the refund program for certain consumers, such as farmers and ranchers, because non-licensed machinery generally doesn’t run on highways like passenger vehicles and doesn’t produce the wear and tear on the roads.”

Four different programs, including two agriculture-related programs, will receive a total of eight cents per gallon based on the refunds requested by agricultural producers.

  • Four cents goes to the agriculture research fund created by the 1997 Legislature.
  • The Agricultural Products Utilization Commission (APUC) receives two cents.
  • One cent is provided to the state ethanol production incentive fund.
  • And one cent remains in the township highway fund.

“If a refund is not requested, the entire tax remains with the highway funds,” said Fong in urging agricultural producers to apply for the gas tax refund.

Because the state fuel tax increased from 21-cents per gallon to 23-cents per gallon on July 1, 2005, the refund amount per gallon varies. For example, farmers and ranchers may receive a refund of 13 cents on purchases made prior to July 1, 2005. Purchases made on or after July 1st are eligible for a refund of 15 cents per gallon. Industrial consumers may request a refund of between 19 and one-half cents per gallon to 21 and one-half cents per gallon, depending on the date the fuel was purchased.

If a refund is not requested, one cent per gallon will stay with the Township Highway Aid Fund and the remaining tax will stay in the Highway Distribution Fund.

Native American consumers who are enrolled members of a reservation may apply for a refund of the state fuel tax they paid on their reservation as well.

Fong said, “This is a busy time of year and it is easy to miss deadlines. We want to make sure that eligible consumers are aware of the refund opportunity and the deadline.”

Last fiscal year the refund program provided the agricultural research fund over $430,000. APUC received nearly $218,000 during fiscal year 2005. The Tax Department issued over $1.4 million dollars for more than 10.3 million gallons of fuel to farmers and ranchers during fiscal year 2005. Over 7,600 gas tax refunds were issued to farmers and ranchers with the average refund over $184.

Those taxpayers who may be eligible for the motor fuel tax refund may apply for an extension by contacting the Motor Fuel Tax section of the Tax Department. For more information on the motor fuel tax refund, contact the Tax Department, Motor Fuels Taxes Section, at (701) 328-3382.

# # #

Contact Info | FAQ | Disclaimer | Feedback | Privacy Policy | Taxpayer Bill of Rights | Voluntary Disclosure | State Holidays

XHTML Validation Link CSS Validation Link Priority 2 Accessibility Link