nd.gov - The Official Portal for North Dakota State Government
North Dakota: Legendary. Follow the trail of legends
ndTax logo
Office of State Tax Commissioner, Ryan Rauschenberger : State of North Dakota
About Tax Dept. | Misc Forms/Pubs | Laws and Regs. | Links | Media Center | Newsletters Subscription
Home  | Frequently Asked Questions | Contact Us Meet the Commissioner | Mission Statement

rss for North Dakota Office of State Tax Commissioner YouTube North Dakota Office of State Tax Commissioner facebook logo rss for North Dakota Office of State Tax Commissioner
» Admin. and Research
» Alcohol
» Coal
» Corporation Income
» Estate
» Fiduciary
» Financial Institutions
» Fuels
» Income Tax Withholding
» Individual Income
» Oil and Gas Severance
» Property
» Sales and Use
» S Corp and Partnership
» Telecommunications
» Tobacco

» Disaster Relief
» Tax Incentives
» Tax Professionals

Career Opportunities
Frequently Asked Questions
Miscellaneous Tax Forms and Publications

600 E. Boulevard Ave.
  Bismarck, ND 58505-0599
  701.328.7088 phone
  701.328.3700 fax
  877.328.7088 toll-free
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Rick Clayburgh, Tax Commissioner 701-328-2770
June 2, 2004 Joan Galster, Supervisor, Motor Fuel Tax Section, 701-328-3139

Gas Tax Refund Deadline is June 30

BISMARCK --- June 30 is the last day farmers, ranchers, and industrial consumers can apply for a refund of the fuel taxes paid on gasoline/gasohol purchased during 2003 announced Tax Commissioner Rick Clayburgh.

"Taxpayers who paid taxes on gas used in non-licensed agricultural or industrial equipment may have a refund coming," said Clayburgh. "With the high price of gas, it's nice to know that ag producers and industrial consumers such as contractors can get some relief through the refund program."

Every gallon of gasoline and gasohol sold in North Dakota includes 21-cents per gallon state tax. Farmers and industrial consumers can apply for a partial refund of tax paid on gasoline used in non-licensed agricultural or industrial equipment such as tractors, combines, construction equipment, and any other non-licensed machinery.

Farmers and ranchers who request the refund can get back 13-cents per gallon. The remaining eight cents is split four ways, including two agriculture-related programs.

  • Four cents goes to the agriculture research fund created by the 1997 Legislature.
  • The Agricultural Products Utilization Commission (APUC) receives two cents.
  • One cent is provided to the state ethanol plants.
  • And one cent remains in the township highway fund.

"Farmers and ranchers need to request the fuel tax refund before funds can be distributed into the research fund," said Clayburgh, urging agricultural producers to apply for the gas tax refund. If the refund isn't requested, the entire 21-cents goes to highway funds.

Industrial consumers who request the refund may get back 19 and one-half cents per gallon. One cent per gallon remains in the township highway fund and one-half cent per gallon is deposited into the APUC Fund.

Clayburgh added that taxpayers who may be eligible for the gas tax refund can apply for an extension by contacting the Motor Fuel Tax section of the Tax Department.

"This is a busy time of year and it's easy to overlook a deadline," said Clayburgh, "We want to make sure people are aware of the gas tax refund and that anyone who is entitled to it is given the opportunity to apply."

Last fiscal year the refund program raised nearly $506,000 for agricultural research. The refund program also provided APUC with funds totaling about $255,000 during fiscal year 2003.

The Tax Department issued almost two million dollars in refunds for more than 13 million gallons of fuel to farmers and ranchers during fiscal year 2003. Agricultural producers received over 8,400 gas tax refunds. The average refund was about $195.

For more information on the gas tax refund or to obtain an extension, contact the Office of State Tax Commissioner, Motor Fuel Tax Section, at (701) 328-3126.

Contact Info | FAQ | Disclaimer | Feedback | Privacy Policy | Taxpayer Bill of Rights | Voluntary Disclosure | State Holidays

XHTML Validation Link CSS Validation Link Priority 2 Accessibility Link