Meet the Commissioner
Graduate of University of North Dakota with a Bachelor's degree in Accounting and a Master's degree in Business Administration
- Appointed Tax Commissioner by North Dakota Governor Dalrymple January 2014.
- Dedicated to promoting:
- Sound fiscal management to stay within budget.
- Effective administration in hiring capable employees, training them, making certain they have the tools to do their jobs, and that they are meeting the needs of taxpayers.
- Accountability in making wise use of resources, ensuring strong customer service, efficient and effective technology advancements, and that sound policy decisions drive the tax department's business processes in every way.
- Responsibility in the important job of administering the tax laws of North Dakota.
- Senior management with oversight of staff and all areas of tax administration
- Develops and implements agency initiatives
- Implements vital technology initiatives
- Responsible for leading the Office of State Tax Commissioner's policy analysis and tax research team
- Collaborates with various groups, individuals, and industry leaders regarding effective and increased application of tax-related programs and directives
- Builds strong relationships and coalitions with a variety of industry sectors, individuals, and state and local officials
- Promotes compliance with state tax policy
- Conducts public outreach to educate business leaders& citizens about North Dakota taxes
- Developing trusting relationship with legislators, other state and local officials, and business and community leaders.
- Assists and advises legislators regarding state tax policy
- Past experience:
- Deputy Tax commissioner, July 2009 – December 2013
- North Dakota Department of Commerce, Manager of Energy Development
- Recruited energy-related businesses to locate in North Dakota
- Promoted expansion of existing business
- Served on the North Dakota Energy Policy Commission, EmPower North Dakota
- PriceWaterhouseCoopers, providing auditing services
- Served the energy, manufacturing, and financial services industries
- Provided financial analysis
- Developed proposals for improved business practices
- Published several articles regarding energy policy and accountancy in national journals
- Served on UND Planning and Budget Committee
- Served on North Dakota University System's ConnectND Governance Committee
- Interned at Bank of North Dakota and Kadrmas Lee & Jackson