Law Enforcement (LESO)
The Law Enforcement Support Office (LESO) is the point of contact for Law Enforcement Agencies (LEAs) to acquire Department of Defense (DOD) excess weapons through the 1033 program. The allocation of weapons is based upon the following criteria approved by the Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD):
- The number and type of excess weapons available to the LESO program
- Counter-Drug/Counter Terrorism
- High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (HIDTA)
- The date the request was received by LESO
- Fair and equitable distribution on a national scale
LESO reminds LEAs that weapons obtained through the 1033 program are on loan from the DOD and remain the property of the DOD. Trading, bartering or selling of the weapons is strictly prohibited by the Memorandums of Agreements signed between your state and LESO and your state and the U.S. Army Tank-Automotive and Armaments Command (TACOM). Any incidents of trading, bartering, selling, damage to, or theft of 1033 Program weapons will be forwarded to the DLA Accountability office who have special investigators, empowered with arrest and apprehension authority, for further investigation.
An inventory must be conducted by the LEA upon receipt of the weapons. All weapons received through the 1033 program must also be inventoried annually. An accurate inventory must be signed by the Head of Agency and submitted to LESO through the State Coordinator. LESO is currently developing an electronic solution to reconcile weapon inventories. While awaiting development, forms for receipt inventories are available under the “Section 1033” tab on the LESO website. The annual inventory report will be made available through your State Coordinator.
Weapons Available Through the 1033 Program:
- Caliber: 5.56 x 45mm (.223)
- Mechanism: Gas, direct action, selective fire, 20 and 30 round box magazine
- Weight: 6.30 lbs. (2.86kg) empty
- Length: 39.00” (990mm)
- Rate of Fire: 700-950rds/min
- Muzzle Velocity: 3,280ft/sec (1000m/sec)
- Effective Range: 1312 ft (400m)
- Caliber: 7.62x51mm NATO (.308 Win.)
- Mechanism: Rotating bolt, gas operated, air cooled, semi-automatic magazine fed rifle
- Weight: 8.55 lbs. (3.88kg) empty
- Length: 44.1” (112cm)
- Rate of Fire: 700-750rds/min
- Muzzle Velocity: 2,800ft/sec (853m/sec)
.45 Model 1911 Automatic Pistol
- Caliber: .45
- Mechanism: Short recoil, self-loading, 7-round box magazine
- Weight: 2.4 lbs. (1.13kg)
- Length: 8.6” (219mm)
- Barrel: 4.9” (127mm)
Requests for weapons not available through the program (M-4 Rifles, M-21 Sniper Rifles, etc.) will be discarded. A response will not be sent to the LEA.
LEAs are responsible for acquiring magazines/clips and slings to use with weapons acquired through the 1033 Program. Magazines/Clips and slings are not issued with the weapons.
The LESO Weapons Team is available to assist with all weapons related questions. Please contact us at 1-800-532-9946 or DRMSLESO@dla.mil
To request weapons, complete the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) Weapon Request form on the DLA web site. Click here to access this fillable PDF application form.