Potato Seedstocks Program: Tissue Culture and Nuclear Seed Production
Tissue culture clones originate from sources such as:
- North Dakota State University breeding program
- Colorado State University
- Colorado Potato Certification Service
- University of Idaho
- Nebraska Potato Certification Association
- Texas A & M
- Cornell-Uihlein Foundation Seed potato farm
- Maine State Seed Potato Farm
- University of Wisconsin, Madison
All clones are tested for virus and bacteria at the NDSSD diagnostic laboratory and propagated in a sterilized media.
Plantlets are grown in the Greenhouse in two crop cycles and inspected twice each crop cycle. These inspections include visual screenings and ELISA virus testing of leaf tissue. Within 70 days the plantlets produce nuclear seed called minitubers. These are harvested, sized, bagged and stored until they are shipped.