General Program Requirements
Application Fees and Restrictions:
- Applications must be received by June 15th each year. One half
of field inspection fees must accompany the application.
- Application fees are subject to cancellation and refund provided that the request has reached the Department prior to inspection. The cancelled acres are required to be destroyed so as not to create disease hazards.
- Drown-out losses, if over twenty-five percent of the field, will be allowed at the discretion of the Seed Department.
- Prompt payment of fees are required in all cases, and up-to-date accounts are required for acceptance of program applications.
- Fees for field inspection, latent virus testing, cancellation and late penalties are subject to change by action of the Seed Commission.
Seed Farm Requirements:
- All potato fields on a farm or in a faming operation must be eligible and entered for certification. The eligibility of farming operations is determined by Seed Department personnel and at the discretion of the Seed Department.
- All equipment and storages must be used only on the acres entered, and must be disinfected annually.
- Boundaries of fields must be clearly defined, and adequate separation between certified and uncertified fields must be maintained by the grower.
- Seed potatoes may not be planted on ground planted to potatoes the previous year, unless the field has been fumigated.
- All cull piles in the operation must be properly destroyed.
Seed Source Eligibility and Documentation:
- Seed lots of Foundation Class, North Dakota origin will have passed field inspection and winter test program requirements.
- Seed lots from other sources will be of Foundation or another approved class, and have passed winter test or laboratory testing in a manner approved by the Seed Department. Seed lots originating from out of state or country may be subjected to testing by an approved laboratory. Additional documentation, including health certificates, field inspection reports or winter test results are required prior to acceptance.
- Purchase proof must accompany application to provide evidence of origin and quantity of seed. An approved combination of shipping point certificates, North American health certificates, affidavits or receipts are acceptable.
- Any variety protected by patent or PVPA must have authorization from the owner.