CONGRATULATIONS!!! Just wanted to share this with everyone. We're proud of their hard work and courage as they had to present/compete in front of a crowd of about 75 people last Saturday in Fargo at the Optimist Regional Meeting. Optimist members from Manitoba, South Dakota, Minnesota and North Dakota were there. Great job students!
The North Dakota School for the Deaf/Resource Center for Deaf and Hard of Hearing has expanded its mission to include that of a resource center on hearing loss with responsibility to serve all citizens in North Dakota who are deaf and hard of hearing. Through offices in Devils Lake, Fargo, Bismarck, Minot and Rolla the Outreach department strives to support adults and children who are deaf and hard of hearing, their families and the schools/agencies involved. As per recent legislation (ND Century Code 25-07-12), the school for the deaf may collaborate (not compete) with public and private entities for the provision of services to adult individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing.
Other services are provided in a variety of ways and are individualized based on the specific needs of each situation. Services are provided free of charge. Outreach services include, but are not limited to the following:
Certified Teachers of the Deaf skilled in the areas of academics, language, speech, and auditory skills can provide assistance to school or agency teams in determining the areas of need for deaf and hard of hearing students.
- Classroom observation
- Demonstration/modeling of instructional strategies
- IEP meeting attendance
- Parent workshops
- Professional development courses in education of students who are deaf/hard of hearing
- Individualized parent/family training
- Individualized inservice training for school/agency staff
- Presentations at local, regional and state events
Comprehensive Assessment Services
- Development of an assessment plan
- Assessment available in the areas of Audiology, speech and auditory skills, language and communication, academic skills, cognitive ability, social-emotional development and vocational skills
- Recommendations regarding program and design based on assessment results
- Parent-Infant Program Brochure (825kb pdf)
- Printable brochure outlining details of the Parent-Infant Program.
- Resource on Hearing Loss: NDSD/RCDHH (106kb pdf)
- Information detailing NDSD responsibilities in serving the citizens of North Dakota.
- Resource Manual (3.1Mb pdf)
- Excellent resource developed to provide information for families with children who are deaf and hard of hearing, age birth to five years old, and their families.
- Toy Guide (857kb pdf)
- Excellent resource listing suggested age appropriate toys and the benefits they provide to your child.
- NDSD/RCDHH Connections
- Comprehensive newsletter, publication of the Outreach department, offering interesting articles on various topics, activities for parents of children who are deaf and hard of hearing and updates on events happening locally and nationally.
- • Connections 2011-12 (334kb pdf)
- • Connections Fall, 2007 (954kb pdf)
- Summer Camp
- Family Learning Vacation
- Statewide Art Contest
- Deaf Awareness Week Activities
If you would like more information regarding any of these services, please contact the Outreach office in your area:
1401 College Drive North
Devils Lake, ND 58301 (701-665-4411)
1510 12th Ave N
PO Box 5036
Fargo, ND 58105 (701-231-6036)
500 University Avenue West
Minot, ND 58707 (701-858-3357)
418 East Broadway, Ste. 228
Bismarck, ND 58501 (701- 328-3987)