nd.gov - The Official Portal for North Dakota State Government
North Dakota: Legendary. Follow the trail of legends
North Dakota Insurance Department
Jon Godfread, Commissioner
Twitter Flickr YouTube RSS
communications prescription shic healthcare enforcement compliance forms special
consumers producers companies
Frequently-asked questions

I am an Arizona licensed agent and have recently moved to North Dakota and obtained employment through an agency in Williston, N.D. What are the requirements for me to become licensed in North Dakota? 
According to the National Producer Database, your Arizona resident license is still active. You will need to cancel your Arizona resident license before you can apply for a North Dakota resident license. Once your Arizona license is cancelled, you can apply online with a credit card at http://www.nipr.com/licensing/index.html. The fee is $100, plus a $5 transaction fee. If you apply to North Dakota within 90 days of the date your Arizona license is cancelled, you will not have to take any prequalifying exams.
What is the license renewal procedure for a non-resident agent?
Non-resident individuals must renew their licenses every two years by the last day of their birth month. The expiration dates are printed on the licenses. View the expiration date of a licensee here. Print a license here.

The producer license issued to a business entity is a perpetual/continuous license that does not have an expiration/renewal date. The license remains in good standing as long as 1) the resident license is active and in good standing; 2) the named designated producer is active and in good standing; and 3) the certificate of authority issued by the North Dakota Secretary of State is in good standing.

I am a nonresident producer; do I have CE requirements in North Dakota?
No. As long as your license in your home state is in good standing, there are no additional continuing education requirements in North Dakota for nonresident producers.

How long before an insurance license expires is it possible to renew it? Some states allow renewal up to 45 days before the license expires.
Producers have a 90-day window in which to renew their license prior to expiration.

Do I need to be fingerprinted in North Dakota to hold a North Dakota non-resident producer license?

How do I print my license?
Print your license here.

I am in the process of getting my life and health/property and casualty license. Do I need to take any pre-licensing courses?
North Dakota law no longer requires an individual to take prelicensing courses. You can prepare for the exam however you wish. Here is a link to a list of the prelicensing educators. 
Visit the PSI website to find content outlines for the exams. The outline provides a reference to the North Dakota Century Code statute.
Here is a link to the North Dakota Century Code 26.1 Insurance Law. 
How do I reinstate a canceled license?
You can simply re-apply. Go to http://www.nipr.com/licensing/index.html. Apply for a new license and follow through with the application process. It will request credit card information at the end of the program. The initial license fee is $100.

How do I contact the licensing division in North Dakota?
Contact the Department at (701) 328-2440, (800) 247-0560 or ndlicensing@nd.gov.

How do I renew a non-resident license?
Visit the non-resident individual insurance producer renewal web page.

North Dakota Insurance Department
600 E. Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, ND 58505-0320
Phone 701.328.2440
Toll free 800.247.0560
Fax 701.328.4880

Copyright © 2019 North Dakota Insurance Department
Contact us
About us
RSS feeds
Site map
Privacy policy
Security policy