nd.gov - The Official Portal for North Dakota State Government
North Dakota: Legendary. Follow the trail of legends
North Dakota Insurance Department
Jon Godfread, Commissioner
Twitter Flickr YouTube RSS
communications prescription shic healthcare enforcement compliance forms special
consumers producers companies
Home > Consumers > Military Personnel
Military Personnel
Members of the armed services can be deployed on short notice, leaving little time to address their personal or business affairs.

Insurance coverage, in particular, is often affected when someone moves out of state or spends an extended period of time away from home. Before you purchase an insurance policy, it is a good idea to ask the agent or broker specific questions about how the company will handle issues related to the deployment of their policyholders who are in the military.

Each company's guidelines can vary. By shopping around, you may be able to find an insurer who takes the specialized needs of service members into account. It might be difficult to handle routine business like paying premiums in a timely manner or renewing policies when you're deployed. Talk to your agent before you leave to learn when a policy is up for renewal and to make arrangements to pay your premiums. You may be able to renew a policy early or set up an automated premium payment. Some insurance companies might also allow you to suspend certain coverage while you're deployed.

Most insurance companies use payment history and continuity of coverage as factors to determine their rates and eligibility standards. If your insurance lapses or expires while you're away, you could come home to find companies unwilling to insure you or only willing to do so at a higher rate.
Life insurance Other types of insurance/considerations
Serviceman's Group Life Insurance (SGLI)

SGLI is a program of low cost group term life insurance automatically available to all servicemembers on active duty, active duty for training or inactive duty for training and members of the Reserves. This policy is automatically activated for a coverage amount of $250,000, the maximum amount of coverage, unless the soldier opts out in writing. A soldier can elect lower coverage or no coverage by completing the VA Form SGLV-8286. Coverage is available for spouses; dependent children are automatically insured for $10,000. When released from active duty or the Reserve, members with full-time SGLI coverage can convert their coverage to Veterans Group Life Insurance or to an individual commercial life insurance. Click the link below to learn more about the SGLI and VGLI policies for military servicemembers.

US Department of Veterans' Affairs

Who needs life insurance?

Members of the armed services may consider their life insurance needs throughout their military career. The need for life insurance will vary depending upon your age and responsibilities. It is a very important part of financial planning. There are several reasons to purchase life insurance. You may need to replace income that would be lost with the death of a wage earner. You may want to make sure your dependents do not incur significant debt if you die. Life insurance may allow them to keep assets versus selling them to pay outstanding bills or taxes.

Military personnel should consider the following factors when purchasing life insurance:
  • Medical expenses previous to death, burial costs and estate taxes in excess of amounts that would be covered by the military
  • Support while surviving family members try to secure employment
  • Continued monthly bills and expenses, day care costs, college tuition and retirement of surviving family members
  • Whether a policy contains exclusions for death while performing military duties

How much do I need?

Questions to ask yourself:
  • Have I already purchased the maximum amount available to me through the Servicemembers' and Veterans' Group Life Insurance program? (SGLI and VGLI are government sponsored life insurance programs administered by the Office of Servicemens' Group Life Insurance (OSGLI) in Livingston, NJ.) In May 2005, the maximum amount a person can purchase under the SGLI or VGLI programs is $250,000.
  • How much of the family income do I provide?
  • If I were to die, how would my survivors, especially my children, get by?
  • Does anyone else depend on me financially, such as a parent, grandparent, brother or sister?
  • Do I have children for whom I would like to set aside money to finish their education in the event of my death?
  • How will my family pay funeral expenses and repay debts after my death?
  • Do I have family members or organizations to whom I would like to leave money?
  • Will there be estate taxes to pay after my death?
  • How will inflation affect future needs?
Some insurance experts suggest that you purchase five to eight times your current income. However, it is better to go through the above questions to calculate a more accurate amount. There is also a life insurance needs calculation tool available on the SGLI website:

back to top

Life insurance consideration for military servicemembers

An important note to members of the armed forces involves a provision that is commonly included in life insurance policies. Many life insurance policies include a "war exclusion" provision that specifically states benefits will not be payable if the death is a result of war or the action of a military force. The Servicemember's Group Life Insurance (SGLI) and Veterans Group Life Insurance (VGLI) policies do not have this type of exclusion. In addition, many life insurance policies also contain exclusions about traveling on any non-commercial aircraft.

Basic types of life insurance

All life insurance policies are not the same. Some give coverage for your lifetime and others cover you for a specific number of years. Some build up cash values and others do not. Some policies combine different kinds of insurance, and others let you change from one kind of insurance to another. Some policies may offer other benefits while you are still living. There are two basic types of life insurance: term insurance and permanent insurance.

Term insurance

Term insurance generally has lower premiums in the early years, but does not build up cash values. You may combine cash value life insurance with term insurance for the period of your greatest need for life insurance to replace income.

Term insurance covers you for a term of one or more years. It pays a death benefit only if you die in that term. Term insurance generally offers the largest insurance protection for your premium dollar. It generally does not build up cash value.

You can renew most term insurance policies for one or more terms, even if your health has changed. Each time you renew the policy for a new term, premiums may be higher. Ask what the premiums will be if you continue to renew the policy. Also ask if you will lose the right to renew the policy at some age. For a higher premium, some companies will give you the right to keep the policy in force for a guaranteed period at the same price each year. At the end of that time you may need to pass a physical examination to continue coverage, and premiums may increase.

Term life insurance may be more desirable for people who are starting out, on a budget or have a fixed time period when their objectives call for life insurance.

Permanent insurance

Permanent insurance (such as universal life, variable universal life and whole life) provides long-term financial protection. These policies include a death benefit and, in some cases, cash savings. Because of the savings element, premiums tend to be higher.

Whole life plans have level premiums which means they do not increase as you age. These policies are designed and priced for you to keep over a long period of time. If you don't intend to keep the policy for the long term, it could be the wrong type of insurance for you. Whole life insurance policies develop "cash values." The cash value is one of the guarantee provisions of the policy. Whole life policies may be more desirable for people who need coverage for their entire life.

back to top

Tips on buying life insurance
  • Make sure you feel comfortable with the insurance agent and company.
  • Individuals that solicit life insurance on military installations are required to obtain authorization from the Department of Defense as an authorized solicitor and all insurance agents must have a license from a state insurance department.
  • Ask to see the agents' permits or licenses.
  • Decide how much you need, for how long, and what you can afford to pay.
  • Learn what kinds of policies will provide what you need and pick the one that is best for you.
  • Do not sign an application until you review it carefully to be sure the answers are complete and accurate.
  • Do not buy life insurance unless you intend to stick with your plan. It may be very costly if you quit during the early years of the policy.
  • Do not feel pressured to sign an allotment form during a classroom session related to financial planning that includes a solicitation to purchase life insurance or investment products.
Life insurance deceptive sales practices and red flags
  • Solicitation of insurance products as "investment" or "savings" products sold as or with savings or investment products.
  • Non-military personnel posing as financial counselors or advisors on veterans' benefits.
  • Non-military or ex-military or former military personnel acting as investment advisors in a group or classroom.
    Pressure to rush through the application process, to complete an allotment form or to authorize withdrawal of funds from your bank account for the purchase of a life insurance policy.
  • Agents selling on the base without authorization from your base solicitations officer or the Department of Defense.
  • Agents selling without a valid license from a state insurance department.
  • Delays in receiving a copy of the contract.

Homeowners insurance considerations for military servicemembers

What happens if your home is vacant? Many homeowners policies have a "vacancy clause," and if you are gone for an extended period, you could trigger it. In this event, some or all of your coverage may not apply in the event of a loss. The precise definition of vacancy can vary from policy to policy. Some policies, for example, might not pay claims if your house is unoccupied for 60 days or more. However, many companies offer an endorsement that will provide coverage for a dwelling that is unoccupied for an extended period of time. You should consult with your insurance agent or company to learn how the company defines vacancy and whether the company will pay claims if a house is unoccupied.

Check your coverage. It is a good idea to review your homeowners policy with your agent before you leave - it could help you avoid a dispute or disagreement in the future. Make sure your policy limits are sufficient to cover your home and your personal property at today's costs. You may want to increase your coverage if you have made additions or improvements to your property.

Personal property coverage. The military generally will not pay to repair or replace property that is damaged or lost in military housing or in a war zone. Homeowners insurance typically covers personal property that you take with you while traveling, but most policies exclude coverage for damage caused directly or indirectly from war. Talk to your agent about whether personal items that you take with you during your deployment will be covered if they are lost, stolen, or damaged.

back to top

Renters insurance considerations for military servicemembers

If you rent property, you should consider renters insurance often referred to as personal property coverage. In many states, if you rent your home and have renters insurance, your policy will typically pay to repair or replace personal property you take with you while traveling. However in many states, most policies exclude coverage for damage caused directly or indirectly from war. Ask your agent or company whether your renters policy will pay to repair or replace any property you take with you during your deployment.

Auto insurance considerations for military servicemembers

If you will be deployed for an extended period of time and no one will be driving your vehicle, you may be able to suspend some or all of your coverage to save on premium payments. Not all states allow for coverage to be suspended, nor do all insurance companies. You should contact your agent or company and state insurance department for the specific laws and policy limitations. You may want to ask if liability coverage, collision coverage, comprehensive coverage, uninsured/underinsured motorist, medical payments and personal injury protection coverage can be suspended while you are deployed.

back to top

Health insurance considerations for military servicemembers

Service and employer health plans. Active duty personnel have coverage through the military, as do reservists and National Guard members after 30 consecutive days of active service. Many reservists and National Guard members, however, have health coverage for themselves and their families through an employer-sponsored health plan, and some may wish to continue that coverage, particularly for their dependents, during their active duty period. Talk with your benefits administrator at work to learn what will happen with your health coverage if you are called to active duty. While employers are not required to pay the cost of health coverage for you and your dependents while you are on active duty, some employers may choose to continue benefits at their current level.

If your employer does not continue paying the cost of your health coverage, you are entitled to continue the coverage at your own cost under federal law. The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) and the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) both allow you to continue coverage for yourself and your dependents for up to 18 months, however, you may be required to pay 102 percent of the full premium for coverage. Any person covered by the health plan may choose to continue coverage even if others who are covered do not. This means, for instance, that your spouse could continue coverage through USERRA and COBRA even if you do not.

If your employer discontinued your health coverage and you return to the company directly after your military deployment, federal law requires that you be allowed to resume plan membership without any type of waiting period.

Policy lapses or cancellations

It is important that you make arrangements to have your insurance premiums paid timely while you are deployed. If your insurance company cancels your policy for failure to pay your premium on time - or for any other legal reason - you will likely have trouble getting a new insurance policy and, when you do find a company willing to insure you, you may have to pay higher rates. Many companies will decline to insure drivers who have lapses in their insurance coverage. And if your coverage lapsed for more than 30 days, companies may be able to charge you a higher premium.

back to top

Assigning power of attorney

Power of attorney is a special legal designation that authorizes someone to act on your behalf in insurance, financial, personal, or legal matters. If you are deployed, you may want to consider assigning power of attorney to a spouse, family member, or trusted friend. To assign power of attorney, you and the individual you designate must sign a form before a notary public. Ask your base personnel office about where to find a notary. You may also consult the business listings in your local telephone directory to find notaries in your area.

State Insurance Department contacts

You should contact your state insurance department if you believe you have encountered deceptive sales practices or you discover that the policy you purchased was misrepresented to you. The state you contact should be the state where you are currently listed as a resident, regardless of whether you are currently stationed in some other state or you are stationed outside of the United States. You may also contact your resident state insurance department if you have any general questions about insurance. For a list of state contact websites, click the link below:

State Insurance Department websites

To file a complaint electronically with your state Insurance Department, click the link below:

File an electronic complaint

Link to the Better Business Bureau for Military

The U. S. Better Business Bureau system is working with the U.S. military to encourage service members and their families to use the programs and materials of the BBB system for a variety of consumer related issues.

Better Business Bureau for the Military

Link to the Department of Labor

For more information about your rights concerning health insurance coverage under USERRA and COBRA, call the U.S. Department of Labor Employee Benefits Administration or visit its website

1-866-444-EBSA (3272)

US Department of Labor

NAIC resolution unanimously adopted

Please click the link below to view a resolution, which was presented by John W. Oxendine, Georgia Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner, to the NAIC membership. The resolution addresses the waiver of any occupancy requirement for Armed Services personnel who can demonstrate they have taken reasonable steps to maintain and protect such property. The NAIC membership unanimously adopted this resolution on March 13, 2005.

Proposed Resolution of States Supporting Armed Forces Personnel

back to top

Legal assistance websites

Click on the following links to obtain legal advice for your respective branch of the military services.

Air Force
Coast Guard

Military Sentinel

Military Sentinel is a project of the Federal Trade Commission and the Department of Defense used to identify and target consumer protection issues that affect members of the United States Armed Forces and their families. There are links on this site to access the complaints forms, specific to your branch of service.

Complaint forms and information

Actions against agents barred from military bases

Click on the following link to view the list of agents that have been barred or suspended from selling on the respective military bases. After clicking the link below, choose the Personal Commercial Solicitation Report.

Suspended and barred insurance agents

back to top


North Dakota Insurance Department
600 E. Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, ND 58505-0320
Phone 701.328.2440
Toll free 800.247.0560
Fax 701.328.4880

Copyright © 2019 North Dakota Insurance Department
Contact us
About us
RSS feeds
Site map
Privacy policy
Security policy