|Home : Companies : Company licensing : Accredited reinsurer application
Accredited reinsurer application
Reinsurance credit is permitted under the provisions of ND Cent Code Section 26.1-31.2-01, subsection 2, when the assuming insurer is accredited as a reinsurer in North Dakota. ND Admin Code Section 45-03-07.1-02 also contains requirements for accreditation. An insurer seeking to be registered in North Dakota as an accredited reinsurer must submit a complete application consisting of a request letter and the following information:
Reinsurance credit is allowed only for the cessions of a kind or class of business that the Accredited Reinsurer is licensed or otherwise allowed to write or assume in its state of domicile, or in the case of a US branch of an alien assuming insurer, in the state through which it is entered and licensed.
- Certificate of Assuming Insurer AR-1 (SFN 53913) completed and signed by the applicant.
- A certified copy of a certificate of authority or other evidence showing that the applicant is licensed to transact insurance or reinsurance in at least one state. In the case of a US branch of an alien assuming insurer, the applicant must submit evidence that it is entered through and licensed to transact insurance or reinsurance in at least one state.
- Most recent annual statement and audited financial statement filed with the applicant's state of domicile. In the case of an alien assuming insurer, the annual statement and audited financial statement filed with the state through which the applicant is entered and in which it is licensed.
The Insurance Department will issue an approval letter if the application is approved. An application may be filed at any time throughout the year. All applications and fees should be directed to:
North Dakota Insurance Department
600 Boulevard Ave, Dept 401
Bismarck, ND 58505
Annual renewal requirement
The registration of an accredited reinsurer must be renewed by March 1 of each year via the Online Renewal System.
THE ACCREDITED REINSURER'S ANNUAL STATEMENT MUST BE FILED WITH THE NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF INSURANCE COMMISSIONERS (NAIC) BY MARCH 1 OF EACH YEAR AND ITS AUDITED FINANCIAL STATEMENT MUST BE FILED WITH THE NAIC BY JUNE 1.
A written notification of any corporate changes, such as a name change, address change, merger or redomestication, must be sent to the North Dakota Insurance Department in a timely manner. The notification should include updated documents (AR-1 form, copy of certificate of authority) to reflect the change, as applicable.
Renewal affidavit for non-admitted companies
The Renewal Affidavit For Non-Admitted Companies must be submitted using the North Dakota Insurance Department's enhanced Online Renewal System. The Online Renewal System requires payment of the company's renewal fees by one of the following options:
If you have questions, please contact:
- Payment by credit card - note that only Visa, MasterCard or Discover cards are accepted (American Express card is not accepted); see the Online Renewal System for further instructions.
- Payment by check - a completed copy of the renewal statement must be included along with the company's check and postmarked by March 1 to avoid penalties.
ND Insurance Department
State Capitol, fifth floor
600 E. Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, ND 58505-0320