Jan. 1 - Dec. 8, 2014
Harvest/Winter Combination (Durational) Permit
Combination Harvest/Winter (Durational) 10 Percent Weight Exemption Permit: Valid from July 15 through March 7. During harvest season, July 15 through November 30, applicable rules shall apply as explained below. During the winter season, December 1 through March 7, sooner if spring weight limits go into effect, applicable rules shall apply as explained below. The permit fee is $250. The permit must be carried in the vehicle to be valid. The 10% weight exemption window decal must be displayed in the lower left corner of the windshield or the permit is invalid. This permit is available to purchase only through October 31.
During the harvest season, the permit allows a vehicle 10% more weight when hauling harvested farm product from the field to the 1st point of storage. Solid waste, sugar beets, and potatoes may be hauled from any location to a point of storage with 10% more weight. The weight exemption permit is valid for 10% over legal axle weights or 10% over legal exterior bridge distance (measurement between extreme axle centers), whichever is more restrictive. The gross vehicle weight (GVW) shall not to exceed 105,500 pounds. The vehicle must be registered for its maximum legal gross vehicle weight. The 10% weight exemption permit cannot be used in conjunction with an equipment approval certificate.
Travel is not allowed on the interstate system, county, township, or city streets. When traveling on state highways posted for 80,000 pounds GVW, the GVW cannot exceed 88,000 pounds. On all other state highways the GVW CANNOT exceed 105,500 pounds GVW. (Gross Vehicle Weight Limitations Map). Travel is not allowed over the following bridge structures:
- ND 31, MP 31.012.802, 12 miles N. of SD Line over Cannonball River
- ND 32, MP 32-006.121, 5 miles south of Forman over Wild Rice River
The 10% weight exemption window decal must be displayed in the lower left corner of the windshield or the permit is invalid. The permit must also be carried in the vehicle to be valid.
AXLE/GROSS WEIGHT LIMITATIONS
- Tire weight may not exceed 605 pounds per inch width of tire. (550lbs. plus 10 %)
- 8:25-inch tire on a steering axle = 9,075 plus 10% = 9,983 lbs.
- 9:00-inch tire on a steering axle = 9,900 plus 10% = 10,890 lbs.
- 10:00-inch tire on a steering axle = 11,000 plus 10% = 12,100 lbs.
- 11:00-inch tires on a steering axle=12,100 plus 10% = 13,310 lbs.
- Single axle weight (4 tires) may not exceed 22,000 pounds. (20,000 lbs. plus 10%)
- 8:25-inch tires = 18,150 lbs. plus 10% = 19,965 lbs.
- 9:00-inch tires = 19,800 lbs. plus 10% = 21,780 lbs.
- 10:00-inch tires = 20,000 lbs. plus 10% = 22,000 lbs.
- Tandem axle weight (8 tires) may not exceed 37,400 pounds. (34,000 lbs. plus 10%)
- 7:50-inch tire = 33,000 lbs. plus 10% = 36,300 lbs.
- 8:00-inch tire or larger qualify for 34,000 lbs. plus 10% = 37,400 lbs.
- Triple axle weight (12 tires) may not exceed 52,800 pounds. (48,000 lbs. plus 10%, not to exceed 18,700 lbs. per axle)
- Gross vehicle weights are determined by number of axles and the measurement between extreme axle centers.
- 3 axles x 16 feet = 48,000 lbs. plus 10% = 52,800 lbs.
- 4 axles x 22 feet = 56,500 lbs. plus 10% = 62,150 lbs.
- 5 axles x 48 feet = 78,000 lbs. plus 10% = 85,800 lbs.
- 5 axles x 51 feet = 80,000 lbs. plus 10% = 88,000 lbs.
Vehicle combinations of six or more axles also qualify for the 10% additional weight as determined by the ND Weight Limitations Chart (pdf).