Jan. 1 - Dec. 8, 2014
Fuel Permit: can be purchased in lieu of obtaining an International Fuel Tax License (IFTA). Applies only to vehicles of NON-resident carriers.
North Dakota is a member of the IFTA. Nonresidents may purchase a 72-hour fuel permit in lieu of obtaining an IFTA license for their vehicle. A fuel permit is $15 and valid for 72 hours or when the vehicle leaves the state, whichever occurs first. The fuel permit is valid for one trip only.
The 72-hour fuel permit is required under any one of the following conditions:
- Two-axle single unit vehicle exceeding 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW).
- A vehicle combination with a two-axle power unit and a GVW exceeding 26,000 pounds.
- A single unit vehicle with three or more axles regardless of the weight.
- A vehicle combination with a power unit of three or more axles.
- When any one of the above listed vehicles under items 1, 2, 3 or 4, do not have an IFTA license.
- Carriers from Alaska, Northwest Territories, Yukon or Mexico who have not become a member of IFTA through another jurisdiction.
- Nonresident carriers who are operating Intrastate only or working in the state and do not have an IFTA license.
Vehicles Exempt from the Fuel Permit
- Vehicles carrying a completed copy of an IFTA license cab cards and a door decal.
- All North Dakota base-licensed vehicles.
- All two-axle single unit vehicles weighing 26,000 pounds GVW or less.
- Vehicle combinations with two-axle power unit and a GVW of 26,000 pounds or less.
- ALL Minnesota registered vehicles within the 20-mile free zone. Travel does not have to be by the most direct route.
- Minnesota and South Dakota farm registered motor vehicles hauling their own products or supplies for the farm.
- Leased vehicles carrying IFTA fuel license cards issued to the leasing companies.
- Tourists, motor homes, other recreational vehicles used for personal pleasure.
- Persons transporting their own household goods with their own or rented vehicles for home relocation.
- Non-highway motorized equipment that is not registered, such as farm tractors, truck crane, and earthmoving equipment.