The North Dakota Commissioner of Agriculture administers the North Dakota Turkey Promotion fund in consultation with the North Dakota Turkey Federation.
Approximately 8 active turkey farms and about 8 growers raise turkeys in North Dakota. The North Dakota Agriculture Statistics Service estimated 1 million turkeys were raised in 2013.
The funds used to operate the North Dakota Turkey Promotion Act come from a per-turkey check-off based on the weight of the turkey. The North Dakota Turkey Promotion Act check off is currently levied at one cent for 18 lbs. and under, one and one-half cents for 18.01 to 28 lbs. and one and three quarters cents for 28.01 lbs. and higher. Turkey processors collect these check-off funds and remit them to the North Dakota Department of Agriculture.
The North Dakota Turkey Federation goals and objectives include:
- Improvement of the turkey industry in North Dakota
- Conducting research and education programs directed toward more efficient productions and marketing for turkey producers in North Dakota.
- Promotion activities for the sale of turkey and turkey products.
- Increasing consumer awareness and consumption of turkey and turkey products.
- Participation in the National Turkey Federation.
For more information on the North Dakota Turkey Federation visit www.ndturkey.org.