The North Dakota Commissioner of Agriculture administers the North Dakota Turkey Promotion fund in consultation with the North Dakota Turkey Federation.
Approximately 12 active turkey farms and about 12 growers raise turkeys in North Dakota. The North Dakota Agriculture Statistics Service estimated 1.2 million turkeys were raised in 2009.
The funds used to operate the North Dakota Turkey Promotion Act come from a per-turkey check-off based on the weight of the turkey. The North Dakota Turkey Promotion Act check off is currently levied at one cent for 18 lbs. and under, one and one-half cents for 18.01 to 28 lbs. and one and three quarters cents for 28.01 lbs. and higher. Turkey processors collect these check-off funds and remit them to the North Dakota Department of Agriculture.
The North Dakota Turkey Federation goals and objectives include:
- Improvement of the turkey industry in North Dakota
- Conducting research and education programs directed toward more efficient productions and marketing for turkey producers in North Dakota.
- Promotion activities for the sale of turkey and turkey products.
- Increasing consumer awareness and consumption of turkey and turkey products.
- Participation in the National Turkey Federation.
For more information on the North Dakota Turkey Federation visit www.ndturkey.org.