North Dakota Law (NDCC § 4.1-47-02) requires every person to do all things necessary and proper to control the spread of noxious weeds. The Noxious Weeds staff of the Plant Industries Division coordinates the efforts of county and city weed boards (see list below) and state and federal land managers to implement integrated weed management programs. Currently, there are weed boards in all of North Dakota’s 53 counties, and in 7 cities (Bismarck, Devils Lake, Dickinson, Fargo, Grand Forks, Wahpeton and Mandan).
North Dakota’s noxious weed list (see description below) includes:
Weeds To Watch
County and city weed boards may develop and compile their own list of noxious weeds, provided the list includes all weeds determined to be noxious by the North Dakota Agriculture Commissioner. Click here to see the county and city noxious weed lists.
The Noxious Weed Team distributes funding through two programs, TAG and LAP. These funds are available to weed boards and landowners for controlling weeds on the state and county weed lists.
The Landowner Assistance Program (LAP) provides weed boards with cost-share assistance for noxious weed control. To be eligible to receive LAP funds, weed boards must levy at least 3 mills for noxious weed control, or budget an amount equal to the revenue that could be raised by a levy of three mills. Historically, a majority of weed boards have used these funds to provide landowners with herbicide cost-share assistance. Eligible county and city weed boards are responsible for developing a LAP cost-share program for their areas.
The Targeted Assistance Grant (TAG) Program targets noxious weed control needs and provides a cost-share opportunity to county and city weed boards to meet those needs. TAG proposals describe a noxious weed problem within the county or city weed board’s jurisdiction and proposes a management strategy.
The North Dakota Weed Seed Free Forage Program is a voluntary program in which producers may choose to have forage acreage inspected in order to use or sell forage as certified weed seed free forage or mulch. The forage acreage must be inspected no more than 10 days before harvest and meet standards set forth by the North American Invasive Species Management Association. Noxious weeds actively producing viable seed cannot be present in certified forage. The goal of this program is to mitigate the risk of spreading NAWMA and North Dakota noxious weeds by recreationalists and other land users.
Currently, North Dakota’s State Parks, National Parks, U.S. Forest Service lands, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, Military Reservations, and U.S. Fish and Wildlife lands all require the use of certified forage. In addition, certified mulch may be required in bid contracts for projects such as road building and maintenance, erosion control, wind tower construction sites and pipeline projects.
Recently, the department created the ND Department of Agriculture Mapping Application. The ND mapping Application allows users to track and view weeds to monitor progress of weed control over several years. Users are also able to view apiary, organic farm, vineyard, and winery locations in North Dakota. Users can create and print their own maps by selecting the key features they would like to view.
- Jan 6, 2015 - North Dakota Agriculture Commissioner's Weed Forum
- May 30, 2014 - ND Weed Control Assn Spraying School - Jamestown
- May 29, 2014 - ND Weed Control Assn Spraying School - Devils Lake
- May 28, 2014 - ND Weed Control Assn Spraying School - Stanley
- May 27, 2014 - ND Weed Control Assn Sprayer School - Dickinson
- Jan 7, 2014 - 2014 North Dakota Agriculture Commissioner's Weed Forum
- 2003 Noxious Weeds List Survey - Reported Acres
- 2004 Noxious Weeds List Survey - Reported Acres
- 2005 Noxious Weeds List Survey - Reported Acres
- 2006 Noxious Weeds List Survey - Reported Acres
- 2007 Noxious Weeds List Survey - Reported Acres
- 2008 Noxious Weeds List Survey - Reported Acres
- 2009 Noxious Weeds List Survey - Reported Acres
- 2010 Noxious Weeds List Survey - Reported Acres
- 2011 Noxious Weeds List Survey - Reported Acres
- 2012 Noxious Weeds List Survey - Reported Acres