nd.gov - The Official Portal for North Dakota State Government
North Dakota: Legendary. Follow the trail of legends
North Dakota Aeronautics Commission Wright Brothers montage North Dakota Aeronautics Commission title
Home : FAQ : Contact Us : Facebook "A Statewide Voice for Aviation"
North Dakota Aeronautics Commission Logo

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: If I would like to register a complaint with an airline company, who can I contact?
A: Your first point of contact would be the consumer or public affairs office with the airline you would like to register a complaint with. If you feel that they have not responded satisfactorily, you may contact the Federal Consumer Affairs Division of the U.S. Department of Transportation, Washington, D.C.

Q: Who do I contact for information on aviation accidents?
A: You may contact the Fargo FAA Flight Standards District Office or the National Transportation Safety Board.

Q: If I want to place a lien on an aircraft, what must I do?
A: Liens on aircraft are placed with the records branch of the Federal Aviation Administration in Oklahoma City.

Q: Where can I find the title for my aircraft?
A: The Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association (AOPA) can conduct a title search for owners of aircraft. You do not have to be a member of AOPA to avail yourself of this service, but they do charge a fee.

Q: Does your state have a state airmen registration?
A: No, our state does not have a state airmen registration requirement.

Q: Are there any exemptions to the aircraft registration laws?
A: Exemptions in aircraft registration may apply to aircraft owned by a non-resident who is registered in another state provided the aircraft is not in this state more than 30 days, aircraft engaged in a commercial act of interstate airline or cargo commerce, aircraft owned by a manufacturer being operated for test or development purposes, and aircraft being held for sale, exchange delivery, or demonstration by licensed aircraft dealer. Aircraft owned by state government are assessed a $3.00 processing fee.

Q: What does your agency do with the revenue derived from the various registration fees assessed by your office?
A: Registration and license revenues are dedicated back to aviation. These revenues are used for airport improvements to airports to enhance safety, aviation weather services, producing aeronautical charts and directories, provide technical assistance for GPS approaches, conduct public education, and other aviation related programs.

Q: Does my airplane have to be registered if it is out of annual?
A: Yes, if it is out of annual and will not be flown for the year, you may request a registration exemption. There is no fee, however, notification to our office is required that the aircraft is unairworthy. Notification is also required at the time of airworthiness so that the plane can be registered.

Q: I just moved to North Dakota. How many days do I have to register my aircraft?
A: You have 30 days to register your aircraft.

Q: Does an experimental/homebuilt aircraft, helicopter, ultralight, glider or balloon have to be registered?
A: Yes, they follow the same rules as the aircraft registration.

Q: What about North Dakota residents who have aircraft based out-of-state?
A: Those aircraft based out-of-state do not have to be registered with our state unless they are flown in North Dakota for more than 30 days a year. You need to contact the state in which it is based to register.

Q: How do I become an Aerial Applicator?
A: Becoming an aerial applicator requires contacting several agencies for approvals and certificates. You may refer to the section on Aerial Applicator rules.

Q: Where can I get surplus property for my airport?
A: State Surplus property is limited, however, it is still possible to find airport necessities. Please contact their office for more details.

Q: Do I need a license to operate an airport?
A: No license is required. However, the airport sponsor must file forms with the Federal Aviation Administration to add a new airport or change the status of an existing airport. If airport construction is near the runway, taxiways, hangars, power lines, or towers, a form must also be filed with the Federal Aviation Administration.


Return to the previous page Back to the top of the page

Disclaimer · Privacy Policy XHTML Validation Link CSS Validation Link Priority 2 Accessibility Link