Voice mail is a computerized telephone system that plays announcements to callers, records messages, and allows the messages to be retrieved.
In the simplest form, voice mail functions as an answering machine. However, it is usually much more sophisticated and provides many additional features.
- Simultaneously answer multiple calls and takes multiple messages
- Store incoming messages in personalized voice mailboxes associated with individual users' phone numbers
- Forward received messages to another users' voice mailbox, adding a personal message to the forwarded message
- Record/store messages for future delivery
- Request acknowledgement of receipt of sent messages
- Provide automated attendant services which enable callers to access information or self-route the call to a specific person or department, or to an informational recording or voice mailbox.
ITD is currently converting its voice mail system from Nortel CallPilot to Avaya Messaging.