Instant Messaging (IM) allows real-time communication with contacts. People can instantly tell if a colleague is online and chat with them using text, audio, and/or video. Collaboration may be enhanced with white-boarding, file transfer, application sharing, and remote desktop control.
Features within the Standard Features list are capabilities included within the FTE rate structre
- allow immediate, text-based conversations between two or more people.
- Presence Detection
- to enable one computer user to see whether another user is currently logged on. People have control over how their online status appears to others.
- Desktop Audio/Video Conferencing
- to allow PC to PC dynamic, on-demand sharing of information through a virtual "face-to-face" meeting.
- to allow multiple users to participate in a white board session and write or draw on a shared virtual tablet.
- File Transfer
- to exchange digital files with people.
- Application Sharing
- to enable the user to participated in a sharing event of one computer to take control of an application running on another user's computer.
- Remote Desktop Control
- to enable a support professional to participate in an event to take control of all functionality on another user's computer.
The users that initiate the following features require additional software licensing. As such, additional fees apply for these features.
- to allow multiple users to initiate a white board session and write or draw on a shared virtual tablet.
- Application Sharing
- to enable the user to initiate a sharing event of one computer to take control of an application running on another user's computer.
- Remote Desktop Control
- to enable a support professional to initiate an event to take control of all functionality on another user's computer.
Within the Lync client a user may initiate a voice call. This could be accomplished though remote call control whereby the Lync client initiates a call through a users desk phone. Alternatively, a plug-in from Avaya could be installed that could function similar to the native capabilites using remote call control or could also be configured to operate as a soft phone. When in soft phone mode the voice call is initiated on the users PC instead of the desk phone.
- Native Capabilities
- Allows for remote call control whereby a user can initiate a phone call from their desk phone using the lync client.
- Avaya Plug-in
- Allows for remote call contrl whereby a user can intiate a phone call from their desk phone using the lync client. It also allows the user to initiate a phone call from the individuals PC. This capability provides enterprise voice features for the mobile or remote workforce.
- Note: The plug-in is available in two components. One component enabling the capability within Lync and a second component enabling the capabilites within Outlook and your browser.
- To acquire the Avaya plug-in software, please submit a WMS request.
- Recommendation: ITD is recommending the plug-in for users that choose to deploy the Lync 2010 client. At this time ITD is not recommending the plug-in for users that choose to deploy the Lync 2013 client. Once the Lync 2013 client becomes more stable, ITD will notify the community.
Despite their popularity, consumer-IM clients such as AOL, Yahoo, and MSN Messenger often fall short of business requirements. Issues related to security, archiving, integration, compliance, and standards call for an enterprise-grade offering. ITD’s service is hosted and managed within the boundaries of the ND state network, providing the platform and piece-of-mind for:
- Faster decision-making and problem solving.
- Rapid dissemination of information.
- More productive meetings; with immediate access to expertise and fewer attendees.
- Better engagement of teleworkers.
- Improved responsiveness among colleagues.
ITD’s online Work Management System (WMS) may be used to submit a Service Request for “Email/IM/Rightfax/Quota.” On the form, click the drop-down box by Instant Messaging and select “Add Instant Messaging to this Email Account.”
When requesting a large number of IM accounts at one time, simply fill out one Service Request and attach a spreadsheet with all the User Names.
Requests are typically completed within one business day.
Microsoft Lync Client is the client used in conjunction with Microsoft Lync Server. Visit Microsoft Lync Homepage for product information, training, and a tour.
Service Level Agreements
Related Standards and Guidelines
Current One Time Fee
ITD provides a centralized Instant Messaging platform based upon Microsoft technologies.
All rates include 4.9% overhead charge.