The "Edit Menu" page allows for the configuration of various site menus. Which menus you have the ability to edit depends on the site, and your site role. Selecting the menu you want edited will allow you to drag and drop item within the menu, as well as add, edit and delete items on that menu. This doesn't affect the content, only how menus link to that content.
Depending on the site, and your role on that site, you may have some or all of these menus:
- Footer Left: The left side of a horizontal menu below the content, most often used for policy links.
- Footer Right: The right side of a horizontal menu below the content, most often used for validation and accessibility links.
- ITD Only - Navigation: An administrative menu which is often not even visible to anonymous users.
- ITD Only - Site Admin: This menu will be displayed for Site Administrators.
- ITD Only - Top Navigation: An administrative menu reserved for ITD Administrative messages.
- Left Navigation: This menu is placed in the left sidebar, and contains the secondary navigation links
- Right Navigation: This menu is placed in the right sidebar, and contains the secondary links. Often used for pages like legal notices, contact details, and other items that play a lesser role than navigation links
- Top Navigation - Left: The left side of a horizontal menu above the content, most often used for primary links.
- Top Navigation - Right: The right side of a horizontal menu above the content, most often used login details or the search box.
Any menu beginning with ITD Only will not be available to edit for Agency Site Administrators.
Once you've chosen the menu you wish to edit, you have a number of options:
- Add Item - Selectable from the top tab, this will allow you to add menu items directly by typing the path, menu link title, and description.
- Rearrange the menu - Click and drag items on the menu to display them in a different order. Dragging to the right or left will nest the items, or remove that nesting.
- The enabled box allows you to turn each item off and on. You might use this to temporarily turn off a menu item that you didn't want to delete.
- Menus in Drupal are by default collapsed, meaning the sub-menus are not visible unless their parent item is selected. The expanded checkbox is used to change that setting, allowing the selected sub-menus to be always visible.
- Edit link text or path - Existing links may be edited by clicking the edit link to the right of the menu item name.
- Delete - quickly removes items from the menu.
Be careful when editing menus. It is possible to break a site's layout by configuring menus in a way that they were not designed for. A good example of this would be nesting of items in the one of the top navigation or footer menus. These menus are intended to be single level menus, and secondary items can break the menu.
Return to Drupal User's Manual Index