Microsoft SharePoint is a family of software products developed by Microsoft for collaboration, file sharing, and web publishing. Using SharePoint, people can set up web sites to share information with others, manage documents from start to finish, and publish information to help everyone make better decisions.
SharePoint is the central information sharing and collaboration platform for the Microsoft Office System. It consists of two components:
- Windows SharePoint Services (WSS)
- Microsoft Office SharePoint Server (MOSS)
Team Sites and Meeting Workspaces
- Empower users to create team workspaces, coordinate calendars, organize documents, and retrieve important notifications
- Allow workgroups to publish, store, share, and track contacts, event calendars, web links, discussions, issue lists, announcements, and more
- Improve communication using announcements, alerts, blogs, and wikis
- Move beyond the limitations of traditional file-sharing with smart places that connect people to all of the information resources they need
Tight Integration with the Microsoft Office System
- Leverage familiar Microsoft Office applications, e-mail, and web browsers to provide people with a consistent experience that simplifies how they interact with content, processes, and business data
- Create and link to SharePoint meeting workspaces directly from Microsoft Outlook
- Display presence information of team members from the corporate Instant Messaging service
- Subscribe to SharePoint lists from withing Microsoft Outlook (2007 or higher)
- Aggregate, organize,and present top-level content
- Improved site management
- Deploy personalized content portals (MySites)
- Share and manage documents using check-in/check-out functionality, version history, custom metadata, and customizable views
- Comply with record management regulations by specify security settings, storage policies, auditing policies, and expiration actions for business records
- Leverage out-of-the-box workflows for initiating, tracking, and reporting common business activities, such as document review and approval, issue tracking, and signature collection
- Enable Web Content Management for editing of web page content with an approval process prior to publishing
- Incorporate business data with information about documents, people, and web pages to easily produce relevant results and find what you need
- Search enterprise content sources such as file shares, web sites, SharePoint sites, and Microsoft Exchange Public Folders
- Search over 200 file types
- Empower people to make better-informed decisions using digital dashboards, scorecards, and key performance indicators that present business-critical information in one central location.
- Utilize Microsoft Excel Services to load, calculate, and display information stored in Microsoft Excel workbooks
ITD's Work Management System (WMS) may be used to submit a "Generic" Service Request. Be as descriptive as possible in the "Comments/Special Instructions." Select the "SharePoint" Service Group.
|Windows SharePoint Service
||No Microsoft licenses required
|Microsoft Office SharePoint Server
||Rate includes Microsoft Server and Client Access Licenses
File Share Disk Rates also apply for content stored within SharePoint.