This document outlines the characteristics of Information Technology Department’s (ITD's) Desktop Support service. In conjunction with ITD’s Enterprise Service Levels, it acts as a Service Level Agreement between ITD and all customers who utilize the Desktop Support service.
Desktop Support is a comprehensive approach to managing all of the personal computers within an organization. It has evolved to include laptops, tablets, mobile phones, and other computing devices.
Traditional device management tasks include installing and maintaining hardware and software, connecting network shares and printers, administering user permissions, and troubleshooting incidents. In recent years, an increasingly large proportion of administrative resources have been devoted to security-related tasks, such as patch management, anti-virus/spyware, and data encryption.
Additional information regarding Device Management is available on ITD's website.
Hardware and Software Deployment
- Test, research, and consult with customers regarding procurement of standard IT equipment and software
- Setup all computer and printer hardware, in accordance with the EA Desktop Application Suite Standard and EA Desktop Operating Systems Standard
- Deploy Windows System Center Configuration Manager and WSUS (when appropriate) for patching, updating, and remote management of computers, in accordance with the EA Management Suite Standard and the EA Operating System Critical Updates Standard
- Deploy Endpoint Encryption (when available) on mobile devices, in accordance with the EA Encryption Standard
- Deploy Anti-Virus/Spyware and Personal Firewalls (when available), in accordance with the EA Anti-Virus/Malware Standard
- Deploy Mobile Device Management to secure and maintain tablets and smartphones, in accordance with the EA Mobile Device Access Control Standard
- Deploy a client-based Virtual Private Network (VPN) as requested to connect from a remote location to the state network, in accordance with the EA Remote Access Standard
- Provide basic training regarding standard computer hardware/software to new and existing customers
Device Support and Management
- Provide all support and maintenance for desktops, laptops, cellular devices, printers, and miscellaneous computer equipment. This includes diagnosing, repairing, patching, and upgrading all software and devices to ensure optimal performance.
- Configure security privileges for network shares and subfolders
- Conduct research and make recommendations to customers regarding desktop support and maintenance
- Provide customers with a weekly incident report
- Assist agencies in completing IT equipment surplus/disposal
- Procure all IT hardware and software
- Manage and maintain all hardware and software licensing
- Manage and maintain all hardware and software inventory records
- Disposition of all hardware and software assets
- Ensure alignment with the EA PC Life Cycle Guideline
Device Support and Management
On January 8, 2014, Information Technology Department and the Enterprise Architecture Review Board mutally agreed upon the terms of this document. Additional signatures may be provided as needed.
Modifications Pending Mutual Approval