Top Tips for Job Seekers
Here are some helpful hints to assist you in seeking employment with the State of North Dakota:
- Read the vacancy announcement thoroughly.
- Follow the instructions carefully on the "Application Procedures" section of the vacancy announcement:
- Use the correct application form(s). Many state agencies use the State of North Dakota Application for Employment form (SFN 10950); other agencies use their own or additional form(s).
- Send your application materials to the correct location. Some agencies require the application materials to be submitted directly to the agency; other agencies require the application materials to be sent to another agency such as Job Service.
- Include all application materials requested in the "Application Procedures". Failure to include a required form or document may cause your application to be rejected.
- Notice the closing date. Some agencies require the application materials to be received at the agency by the closing date; other agencies require the application materials to be received or postmarked by the closing date. If your application materials fail to reach the agency by the closing date as indicated on the vacancy announcement, your application will be rejected.
- Fill out the application form completely (preferably typed). Provide detail - do not use "see resume" on your application form.
- Include a list of references with your resume. Do not state on your resume, "References available upon request." The best references include former managers/supervisors, co-workers, and college instructors/advisors. It's a good idea to ask your references for permission to use their names.
- Clearly detail how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications of the position in your cover letter. Also indicate how your education and experience relate to the summary of work.
- Proofread all your application materials. These documents represent your first impression to the agency. Misspelled words and poor grammar do not make a good first impression.
- If you are claiming veteran's preference, provide the required documents as listed on the application form.
- Sign and date your application form.
By following these tips, you will increase your chances of getting an interview and a job with the State of North Dakota. Good luck in your job search!