Equipment Operator I (Transportation Technician I) -Temporary
Department of Transportation
Salary: $15.18 + $2.79 oil patch add on
Closing Date: October 31, 2013 at 4:30 pm
Position Number: 801Temp-Equipment
Requisition Number: None
Status: Full-time, Temporary
Type of Recruitment: External
Date Posted to Web: October 22, 2013
Requires a high school diploma or GED.
Employee hired must have a valid Class B driver’s license with air brakes with a cargo tanker endorsement the first day of work.
Demonstrated ability in operating equipment such as tractors with attachments (loader, mower, etc.). Demonstrated experience driving over-the-road or farm-type trucks extensively enough to safely operate DOT trucks upon being selected.
Employees will not be required to have residence within a specific travel time or distance from the workplace. As determined by the district engineer or division director, employees will at times be required to report to work within 30 minutes in situations involving emergency, storm, or public safety concerns. Employees with residence outside the 30 minute requirement must make appropriate arrangements to make themselves available during such conditions.
Requires satisfactory completion of the interview process and a verifiable record of satisfactory performance in previous employment. Employment is contingent upon passing a medical screening process.
Temporary position, no paid benefits. The hours will be night and early morning shift:
3:00 PM – 11:30 AM and 4:30 AM to 1:00 PM. Duration to last approximately one year.
Applicants Please Submit:
- SFN 10950, Application for Employment
- SFN 18859, DOT Addendum to Application for Employment
- Copy of final college transcript if applicable
Please Send Application Materials To:
NDDOT- Bismarck District
218 Airport Road
Bismarck, ND 58504
Telephone Number: 701-328-6950
Fax Number: 701-328-6933
Both application forms may be downloaded from the Internet at: http://www.nd.gov/hrms/jobs/appforms.html.
Applications must be received in the Bismarck District Office by 4:30 p.m., on the closing date. Background checks will be conducted.
Applications should include information which directly addresses how the applicant meets the minimum qualifications and summary of work. It is very important to be thorough and detailed on the application materials
Applicants with disabilities should contact the Bismarck District at 701-328-6950 in advance of applying to discuss any special provisions needed for applying or interviewing.
If you have any questions on this position, please contact Sean Lackner at 701-328-6950.
ND Relay Number: 1-800-366-6888
Summary of Work:
- Highway and Roadway Maintenance: operate equipment to perform required maintenance duties, for example, tractors, trucks, rollers, perform highway maintenance duties. This includes, but is not limited to, hand patching, crack pouring/sealing, erosion repair, roadway sealing, mowing, cleaning culverts, guardrail and sign repair, minor structure repair, concrete repair, asphalt repair, fence repair, flagging and work zone signing, and assisting with mini mack operations; perform basic snow and ice control/removal on two lane and four lane roadways, generally during evening and early morning hours; receive training and instruction in the operation of more complex equipment, under direct supervision; assist in installing, repairing, and maintaining highway signs and rest areas. Approximately 65 percent of time is spent on this duty.
- Equipment and Vehicle Maintenance: perform minor preventive and repair maintenance on vehicles and equipment. Approximately 5 percent of time is spent on this duty.
- Record Keeping: maintain necessary paperwork, including time records, activity reporting, daily diary, road reports, etc. Approximately 10 percent of time is spent on this duty.
- Building and Grounds Maintenance: perform building and ground maintenance duties, such as shovel snow, mow and water grass, maintain fuel pumps, painting, basic carpentry, plumbing tasks, clean shop floors and work area, clean up shop grounds, minor building repairs, and maintain a safe working environment; maintenance of radio tower grounds and buildings. Approximately 15 percent of time is spent on this duty.
- Information Technology Equipment Maintenance: perform general routine maintenance of the Information Technology Division's roadway and radio system equipment, including cleaning of lenses of roadway weather information equipment. Approximately 5 percent of time is spent on this duty.
This position is a safety-sensitive position. An employee, not already in a safety-sensitive position, who is selected for the position, but before being hired, will be required to satisfactorily complete a drug test. In addition, all employees applying for this position must sign the Drug Testing Release form (SFN 50098) and the district office will contact current and previous employers (within past two years).
As employers, the State of North Dakota and political subdivisions prohibit smoking in all places of state and political subdivision employment in accordance with N.D.C.C. § 23-12-10.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The State of North Dakota and this hiring agency do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, genetics, religion, age, or disability in employment or the provision of services, and complies with the provisions of the North Dakota Human Rights Act.