Engineering Technician III*
ND Department Of Transportation
Salary: $2,954 - $3,929/month (DOE)**
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Position Number: 801‑7726
Requisition Number: 2918615
Status: Full-time, Regular
Type of Recruitment: Internal/External
Date Posted to Web: June 21, 2012
Requires an Associates Degree in Civil Engineering Technology and a minimum of two years of related experience. Experience with GPS, Robotic, and conventional total station surveying equipment is preferred.
(Underfilling Requirements) Requires an Associate’s Degree in Civil Engineering Technology. Experience with GPS, Robotic, and/or conventional total station surveying equipment is preferred. Must meet minimum qualifications for an Engineering Technician III within two years from date of hire.
When the construction schedule is light in the District, employee may be assigned to assist another District.
Possible work after regular hours, on weekends and holidays during construction season. Some contact with the public and contractors; Valid Class D drivers license is required to travel to and within the construction project; Extended standing; normal hearing range; eye and hand coordination; bending, stooping, and stretching. Work is performed in all types of weather conditions and at the construction site; able to function around vehicular and construction traffic; Normal vision range; ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Requires satisfactory completion of the interview process and a verifiable record of satisfactory performance in previous employment. Employment is contingent upon passing a medical screening process.
*Pending reclassification. Under filling at the Engineering Technician II level may be considered; salary dependent on experience.
**Based on July 1, 2012 salary structure.
***If an internal candidate is selected for this position they may be granted moving allowance provisions in accordance with Policy Statement 14.4.
****External applicants are eligible for a recruitment bonus of two months salary.
Applicants Please Submit:
- SFN 10950, Application for Employment
- SFN 18859, DOT Addendum to Application for Employment
- Copy of final college transcript
Please Send Application Materials To:
NDDOT- Minot District
1305 Highway 2 Bypass East
Minot, ND 58701-7922
Telephone Number: 701-857-6925
Fax Number: 701-857-6932
Both application forms may be downloaded from the Internet at: http://www.nd.gov/hrms/jobs/appforms.html. Applications should include information which directly addresses how the applicant meets the minimum qualifications and summary of work. Background checks will be conducted.
NDDOT staff will score applications based on a 100 point job related personnel system. It is very important to be thorough & detailed on the application materials. The NDDOT Affirmative Action goal is one American Indian male, one American Indian female and twelve non-minority females.
Applicants with disabilities should contact the Minot District at 701-857-6925 in advance of applying to discuss any special provisions needed for applying or interviewing.
ND Relay Number: 1-800-366-6888
Summary of Work:
- Survey: Supervision of survey crew; slopestaking; blue topping; setting construction points; cross-sectioning; run line (tangent and curves); run and adjust benchmark circuits; establish and adjust grades; stake bridges and box culverts; compute curve data; load survey books; survey using Total Station, GPS equipment, level and Data Collector equipment. Approximately 30 percent of the time is spent on this duty
- Materials testing: Bituminous testing; elongation testing; fractured face testing; moisture-density testing; soft rock and iron oxide testing; light weight materials testing; unit weight testing; specific gravity testing; flexural beam testing; water cement ratio testing; sample aggregates and mixes; field concrete testing. Approximately 30 percent of the time is spent on this duty.
- Construction Inspection: Seeding and mulching inspection; structure, excavating, embankment, and aggregate base inspection; guardrail inspection; seal coat, prime, and tack inspection; utilities relocation inspection; check width, depth, and crown on base and surfacing; measure and compute installed quantities. Approximately 15 percent of the time is spent on this duty.
- Winter assignments: Assist with design activities; compute quantities; preliminary surveys and miscellaneous surveys; assist in preparing project finals. Approximately 15 percent of the time is spent on this duty.
- Office work duties: Plot cross sectioning using computer and by hand; reduce notes; tabulate quantities; prepare timesheets and expense vouchers; recordkeeping or automated recordkeeping system (CARS); prepare spreadsheets. Approximately 10 percent of the time is spent on this duty.
As an employer, the State of North Dakota prohibits smoking in all places of state employment.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The State of North Dakota and this hiring agency do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, genetics, religion, age, or disability in employment or the provision of services, and complies with the provisions of the North Dakota Human Rights Act.