Correctional Officer - Temporary
Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Position Number: 530-518-5810
Requisition Number: None
Status: Full-time, Temporary (Does not include benefits while on temporary status)
Type of Recruitment: Internal/External
Date Posted to Web: June 18, 2013
Requires a high school diploma or GED and two years of work experience in corrections, security, law enforcement, military police, or two years of college coursework.
Individual must be flexible and innovative in carrying out assigned responsibilities. Must successfully complete standard background and criminal record check.
Submit the following documents to:
Jeanney Wright, Human Resource Officer, 2521 Circle Drive, Jamestown, ND 58401
- Application Form – SFN 10950
- Letter of Interest
- Transcripts (required for college education credit, copies acceptable)
Application forms (SFN 10950) may be obtained through JRCC, Job Service, or the following website: http://www.nd.gov/hrms/. DOCR internal applicants should complete the DOCR Internal Application (SFN 18116), in lieu of SFN 10950, available on the DOCR Intranet under Employee Forms >Internal Employment. Application materials must be received by 4:00 p.m. on the closing date listed above. Application materials must clearly explain how experience and education are related to the minimum qualifications and job duties.
Applicants who are residents of ND and eligible to claim veteran's preference must include Form DD214. Claims for disabled veteran's preference must include a current statement of disabled status from the Veteran's Affairs Office.
Contact Jeanney Wright, Human Resource Officer at 701-253-3804 or TTY 800-366-6888 for more information or assistance in the application or interview process.
ND Relay Number: 1-800-366-6888
Summary of Work:
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Participate in searches of inmates’ cell, body (clothed and unclothed), property and work area to ensure control of contraband and compliance with institutional health standards.
- Conduct inmate counts at designated times in assigned unit to ensure security and early detection of escapees.
- Control access and security of all unit keys.
- Transport inmates to medical appointments out of the facility, etc. apply restraints and maintain custody.
- Supervise inmate movement and activities in housing units, recreation areas, dining areas, and visiting areas.
- Provide assistance in rehabilitative and basic cognitive needs on an individual basis to inmates as assigned; serve as role model for inmates.
- Screen and approve inmate visitors; conduct background checks prior to admittance into the facility.
- Maintain control of the public during tours or public access events to ensure safety of public and inmates.
- Complete verbal and written reports to supervisors regarding inmate behavior, rule violation, work and repair orders, security issues, and transportation of inmates.
- Cross trained to work in all housing units.
As an employer, the State of North Dakota prohibits smoking in all places of state employment in accordance with N.D.C.C. § 23-12-10.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The state of North Dakota and this hiring agency do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, genetics, religion, age, or disability in employment or the provision of services, and complies with the provisions of the North Dakota Human Rights Act.