District Court Law Clerk
North Dakota Court System
Salary: $4,600 monthly; plus excellent benefits package *
Closing Date: Open until filled
Position Number: 180-25998
Requisition Number: None
Status: Full-time, Regular
Type of Recruitment: Internal/External
Date Posted to Web: March 7, 2013
Requires a juris doctor degree from an accredited law school and some related experience in conducting legal research and legal writing.
*benefits package including employer paid family health insurance premiums and retirement contributions and generous vacation and sick leave accruals, visit: http://www.ndcourts.gov/scbenefitsummary2013.pdf. The benefit summary document requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view and print. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed, please download the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader http://get.adobe.com/reader/ free of charge.
Applications must be submitted online at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/ndcourts/default.cfm. Any form of paper or other electronic application will not be accepted.
The successful candidate will be subject to a criminal background check.
Persons needing accommodation or assistance in the application process may call Human Resources at (701) 328-4216.
ND Relay Number: 1-800-366-6888
Summary of Work:
1. Conducts legal research, analyzes legal issues and examines applicable laws prior to court decisions.
• Reads briefs, prior opinions, transcripts, court records, and documents.
• Analyzes legal issues and arguments.
• Performs legal research for statutes, legal precedents, regulations, or legislative history on relevant issues pertaining to the case(s).
• Provides interpretations applicable to the case(s) under the jurisdiction of the court.
2. Writes legal memoranda and statement of issues involved, including suggestions and recommendations to the justice or judge. Drafts proposed opinions as directed.
3. Compiles references on law and decisions necessary for legal determinations, shepardizes cases either manually or by computerized inquiry.
As employers, the State of North Dakota and political subdivisions prohibit smoking in all places of state and political subdivision employment in accordance with N.D.C.C. § 23-12-10.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The state of North Dakota and this hiring agency do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, genetics, religion, age, or disability in employment or the provision of services, and complies with the provisions of the North Dakota Human Rights Act.