Top Tips for Job Seekers
Here are some helpful hints to assist you in seeking employment with the State of North Dakota:
- Read the job posting thoroughly.
- Follow the instructions carefully on the "Application Procedures" section of the job posting:
- Include all application materials requested in the "Application Procedures". Failure to include a required form or document may cause your application to be rejected.
- Take note of the closing date.
- Complete the application form completely. Provide detail - do not use "see resume" on the online application form.
- Include a list of references with your resume and do not state on your resume, "References available upon request." The best references include former managers/supervisors, co-workers, and college instructors/advisors. It's a good idea to ask your references for permission to use their names prior to including them on your reference list.
- Clearly detail how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications of the position in your cover letter. Also, indicate how your education and experience relate to the summary of work.
- Proofread all your application materials. These documents represent your first impression to the agency. Misspelled words and poor grammar do not make a good first impression.
- If you are claiming veterans' preference, provide the required documents as listed on the application.
By following these tips, you will increase your chances of getting an interview and a job with the State of North Dakota. Good luck in your job search!