Accessing the GIS Hub Databases
This page applies only to North Dakota state agencies or those organizations within the internal state network.
Prerequisites for Connecting
Before connecting to a GIS Hub database using direct connection, the Oracle Client must be installed on the computer being used to make the connection. These steps are for downloading the 32-bit client. Use comparable steps to download the 64 bit product.
- Download the client (about 500mb)
- Click "See All" next to the version you wish to download. - IMPORTANT: IF YOU ARE RUNNING ARCGIS DESKTOP 10.1 OR OLDER USE THE 32-BIT CLIENT. USE THE 64-BIT VERSION ONLY IF YOU ARE USING A 64-BIT ARCGIS PRODUCT. (Click for larger image)
- After clicking on the "See All" link you will need to accept the OTN License Agreement. Scroll down the page and after the "Directions" section, click on Oracle Database 11g Release 2 Client (184.108.40.206.0) for Microsoft Windows (32-bit) Download win32_11gR2_client.zip (684,581,290 bytes) (Click for larger image)
- Unzip the contents of the .zip file to a temporary folder, e.g., on the desktop, “oracle11gtemp”
- Browse to the location of the temporary folder, e.g., …Desktop\oracle11gtemp then go into the ‘client’ directory then double click on the setup.exe.
- In the setup program, click on the radio button in front of Runtime, then click Next. Click Next leaving English as the default
- For Oracle base, you can choose to accept the default or specify your own. It might be preferable to specify a name/location that will be clear, e.g., ‘C:\oracle11g’ then click Next.
- A prerequisite check will run briefly, then click Finish.
- If you wish, delete the downloaded .zip file and the temporary directory, ‘oracle11gtemp’
- Go into the directory: C:\oracle11g\product\11.2.0\client_1\network\admin and edit the existing sqlnet.ora so that the content matches that supplied by your GIS Coordinator.
- In the C:\oracle11g\product\11.2.0\client_1\network\admin directory create a new file named ldap.ora and insert the information supplied by your GIS Coordinator.
Request Oracle Username and Password
Everyone will have their own user ID, and their own passwords. Each agency has an IT Lead Coordinator, that is probably already familiar with using the work request system that is used to request the User ID, password, and roles.
To get direct access to the Hub, please follow these steps. We are using Bob Smith as a fictitious user in this example:
If you have been trained, use the Work Management System to add a new user using the following instructions:
- Enter in your IT Coordinator user ID and password, click the 'Login' button.
- Create a new Service Request under a new or existing Work Order. In the new or existing Work Order, click on the 'Add Service Request' button near the bottom of the page.
- Select the type of service request by clicking on the 'Oracle User ID' link in the Security section.
- Fill in the request information, e.g., specify the request date and type in a short description then click on the 'Continue' button.
- In the Request Details section, specify the following:
- Region: select 'Production'
- Database/instance: type in 'gisp'
- For adding a user, for example Bob Smith, click on the 'Add User ID' link then:
Action: select 'add'
UserID: type in 'bsmith'
User Name: First: type in 'Bob' ; MI: optional ; Second: type in 'Smith'
Initial Password: type it in, minimum 6 characters, mix of alpha and numeric
Department of User: from the pull-down list, select your department
Externally authenticated ID: select 'no'
- The 'Add User Role' link is not used.
- The 'Add Grant Details' link is not used.
- The 'Add Attachment' link is not used.
- You can enter text in the 'Comments/Special Instructions' area if you wish, this is optional.
- Click on the 'Submit' button near the bottom of the page.
ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Explorer version 10.0 or above can be used to connect to one of the GIS Hub databases. The GIS Hub data reside on multiple databases.
|Database||Direct Connect Name||Comment|
|GISP||gisp_svc||Primary database, vector data|
|GISGLO||gisglo_svc||Government Land Office surveys (GLOs)|
|GISSPEC||gisspec_svc||Specialized and agency-specific data|
|GISER||giser_svc||Emergency response data|
- Database Platform: Oracle
- Instance: GISP_SVC (replace 'gisp_svc' with one of the other 2-Tier Names from the table above as needed)
- Authentication Type: Database Authentication
- Username: Oracle User ID
- Password: Oracle password