|Facility Management Division
ND Office of Management and Budget
Facility Management Directory·
constructed during the territorial period (1883-4)
Fire consumed the Capitol on the night of December 28, 1930.
Dynamiting the 1st Capitol 1931. Notice how close it was sitting to Sakakawea.
The second and present Capitol was completed in 1934, in the depths of the Great Depression.
All the outside stone carvings were omitted to save money; but extra thickness of stone was provided so that this ornamentation may be added at any future time. Provision was made by the architects to carve the two stones in the front of the pylons at each side of the plaza steps, and also the large soffitt stones over the windows of the legislative chambers. It was intended to carve these stones on the job as this work is usually done this way, but as the contracts had not been let, but only an allowance set up in the General Contract, this work was omitted, and can be done at any time with out loss if it is desired later. The original credit that was set up in the General Contract for carving and models was $26,650.
The WPA workers (Works Progress Administration), made .30 cents per hour and went on strike to get .50 cents.
Capitol went under martial Law 6-1-33.