2012 Red Ribbon Week
Youth Activities for the Classroom and Beyond
- Art, Music and Drama Activities
- English Activities
- Math Activities
- History and Government Activities
- Science Activities
- Business and Computer Activities
All AgesMedicine Wheel Activities
Sacred Seven Teachings Activities
- Junk Food v. Healthy Food Activity Template (1.22 MB pdf)
- I "Live my NO" by...Template (34kb pdf)
- Sample School Newsletter Template (372kb pdf)
Usually held the last full week in October, the purpose of Red Ribbon Week is to...
- Create awareness of alcohol, tobacco, and other drug use/abuse.
- Encourage implementation of effective strategies in school and communities statewide that support healthy, drug-free lifestyles.
What is Effective Prevention?
- Efforts are repeated and reinforced.
- Efforts are developmentally appropriate and culturally sensitive.
- Efforts play a role in creating a healthy and drug-free environment at the school and the larger community.
- Efforts are driven by data.
Elements of Effective Alcohol and Drug Prevention Education:
Making the Grade: A Guide to School Drug Prevention Programs outlines the key element of effective curricula:
- Helps students recognize internal and external pressures to drink or use drugs
- Provides normative information
- Involves family and the community
- Uses interactive teaching methods
- Helps students develop refusal skills
- Uses developmentally appropriate materials
- Prevention programs should be long-term with repeated interventions to reinforce the original goals
- Includes teacher training and support
- Is easy to implement
SOURCE: Prevention Education in America Schools: Findings and recommendation from survey of educators.
View Full report here. (1.72 Mb pdf)
Evidence Based Programs
The effectiveness of a school policy depends in its comprehensiveness. How comprehensive is the substance abuse policy at your school?
View a list of Teacher Resources that can be used in the classroom (413 kb pdf)
Other Educational Resources and Entities
Click here for a complete list of educational resources and entities. (See 'North Dakota Resources' and 'For Schools' sections)
The Prevention Education Specialist is available to:
- Provide technical assistance to educational entities, Targeted Communities, and the State Substance Abuse Prevention Team regarding policies, best practices, evidence-based programming and strategies that are developmentally appropriate.
- Facilitate the implementation of substance abuse prevention in N.D. schools and early childhood systems.
Contact the Prevention Education Specialist
Rachelle Loda, Ed.S., NCSP