Technical Assistance is available to your Community in relation to Substance Abuse Prevention in the following areas:
- Underage Drinking Strategies
- Local Capacity Building
- Law Enforcement Strategies
- Policy Review
- Media Strategies
- Substance Abuse Prevention Resources
- Data Analysis
For more information, submit a technical assistance request form (371kb pdf) to the State Substance Abuse Prevention Team!
Current Targeted Communities
What is a Targeted Community?
Community members will work with the State Prevention Team specialists to develop unique plans to address and prevent alcohol and other substance abuse. Targeted Communities will receive technical assistance in assessing data, identifying goals, implementing effective strategies and evaluating community progress.
What will happen in a Targeted Community?
A Community Prevention Specialist will assist Targeted Communities through the Strategic Prevention Framework (SPF), which is a model set forth by the Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). This framework involves communities following a five-step process, with a focus on environmental strategies.
- Local data will be reviewed, information will be gathered from community members, youth, and leaders, and community resources will be identified to create an overall picture of the community. This picture will assist in future planning and implementation efforts.
- Capacity Building
- Who needs to be at the table, what training is needed and what resources are lacking will all be identified.
- Strategic goals and objectives will be created based on the information gathered from the 1st step (Assessment).
- Effective, evidence-based strategies that were identified in the community strategic plan will be implemented.
- Strategies will be evaluated to determine if they were successful.
This effort does not provide specific funding or a budget. However, the Targeted Communities do receive additional funding, materials, opportunities, etc. from DHS through this effort.
- See the announcement of North Dakota first five Targeted Communities (457 kb pdf)
- Apply to be a Targeted Community (202 kb pdf)
2011 New Year's Eve Community Event