nd.gov - The Official Portal for North Dakota State Government
North Dakota: Legendary. Follow the trail of legends
NDDHS logo Mother and daughter graphic
 arrowDHS Home arrowContact DHS arrowSkip Navigation

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance (Food Stamp Program) Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Who can apply for programs or services?

A. Generally speaking, anyone may apply for assistance. Eligible applicants will ordinarily reside in North Dakota. For additional information, please refer to the Brochure (3.12 Mb pdf).

Q. Where do I apply for programs and services?

A. Contact your local County Social Service Office. For local contact information, click on the county closest to your home on the locator map. You may also view the Application for Assistance. Completing the application before visiting your County Social Service Office may shorten the time it takes to determine if you qualify for benefits.

Q. Who do I contact if I have additional questions prior to applying for programs or services?

A. County Social Service Office staff can help you complete the application and answer any questions you have about the program.

Q. Who has access to my information if I apply for programs or services?

A. The Department of Human Services must follow federal and state laws on privacy. Only those individuals whose jobs require them to view your personal information in order to administer the programs or to process payments have access to your information. Department of Human Services staff and County Social Service agency staff are bound by strict confidentiality rules that do not allow unauthorized disclosure of your personal information.

Q. Are other programs or services available?

A. The Department of Human Services provides a wide range of programs and services. You can return to the Financial Help page to review other programs that may be available to assist with your financial needs.

Q. Will there be any cost to me for programs or services?

A. There is no cost to receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits.

Q. Do I qualify for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program?

A. Eligibility for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program is based on financial and non-financial eligibility requirements. Contact your local County Social Service Office for further information and to obtain an application. To help determine whether you may qualify for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, use our Calculator.

Q. How do I use my EBT card?


Sample of an EBT Card

Q. What can I buy with my Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits?

A. Households can use benefits to buy:

Households cannot use benefits to buy:

Q. If I qualify for the program, when do I get benefits?

A. If you qualify, benefits will be available within 30 days of applying. After the initial month, benefits become available on the first day of each month.

Q. How much will my benefits be?

A. For October 1, 2017 through September 30, 2018, the table below shows the most you could get if you have no income. As your income goes up, the amount of benefits you will get may go down.

Household Size Amount
1 $192
2 $352
3 $504
4 $640
5 $760
6 $913
7 $1,009
8 $1,153
Each Additional Member



Return to the top of the page Top of page   Go back to the previous page Back to previous page

 Get Adobe Acrobat Reader Tested for W3C WAI AA Accessibility Tested for W3C Well-Formed XHTML Code Tested for W3C Well Formed Cascading Style Sheet Code