nd.gov - The Official Portal for North Dakota State Government
North Dakota: Legendary. Follow the trail of legends
NDDHS logo ND Child Support Enforcement image

Child Support Division

Parents: Direct Deposit Application Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is direct deposit?

A. Direct deposit is a method of electronic funds transfer. You authorize the Direct Deposit Unit of North Dakota's State Disbursement Unit to deposit your support payments directly into your account at your bank. For purposes of this document, the term 'bank' is used to include banks, credit unions, and savings and loan associations. Payments can be deposited into both checking and savings accounts. Child support payments, spousal support payments, and dollar specific medical support payments can all be sent to you via direct deposit.

Q. How does direct deposit work?

A. When a support payment is applied to your case(s), the Direct Deposit Unit electronically tells your bank to credit your account. In most instances, your account will be credited with the payment three business days after the payment is applied to your case(s).

Q. Why use direct deposit?

A. You may receive your payment sooner because mailing time is eliminated. You make fewer trips to the bank. You have no lost or stolen checks.

Q. Who can sign up for direct deposit?

A. If you receive child support, spousal support, or dollar specific medical support payments and have an account in your own name, you can sign up for direct deposit.

Q. How do I sign up for direct deposit?

A. The Direct Deposit Enrollment and Authorization form must be completed and signed. A voided, blank check must be attached if the payment is to be deposited into a checking account. A deposit slip or letter signed by a representative of the financial institution must be attached if the payment is to be deposited into a savings account. The completed documentation must be mailed to:

Direct Deposit Unit
Child Support Division
PO Box 7007
Bismarck, ND 58507

Enrollment Procedures

Q. How do I know that my financial institution accepts direct deposit?

A. Most banks and credit unions can now accept direct deposits. The Direct Deposit Unit has access to a list of financial institutions accepting direct deposit. If the financial institution where you maintain your account cannot accept direct deposits, you will be notified.

Q. Can my payment be deposited to a financial institution in another state?

A. Yes. Payments can be directly deposited into banks and credit unions throughout the United States. Payments cannot be directly deposited into financial institutions outside of the United States.

Q. When will my direct deposit start?

A. The Direct Deposit Unit will review your Enrollment form and will notify you when your request is approved. The day after your account information is entered onto the child support computer system an electronic pre-note transaction will be sent to your bank to verify that the account information is correct. Payments will begin being directly deposited into your account six days after the pre-note is sent to your bank.

Q. When do I have access to the funds that have been directly deposited into my account?

A. This is a question you will have to ask your bank, as procedures may differ from one institution to the next.

Q. How do I stop direct deposit?

A. You must notify the Direct Deposit Unit in writing when you wish the direct deposit terminated. That written notification must include your signature and your social security number. The written notification can be sent to the DDU address, listed above, or can be faxed to (701) 328-6575.

Q. What if I change or close my account?

A. You must complete a new authorization form each time your banking information changes. If you want to close your account, you should first stop direct deposit to avoid delays in receiving your payment. If the Direct Deposit Unit sends a payment to your account, and is notified by your bank that your account has been closed, the payment will be sent to you via regular check at the address maintained on the child support computer system. Even if you are receiving your payments electronically via direct deposit, it is VERY IMPORTANT that you keep the Direct Deposit Unit informed of your current mailing address.

Q. How many direct deposit accounts can I open?

A. For purposes of receiving payments from the State Disbursement Unit, you can only have one direct deposit account at a time. All payments will go into that one account until direct deposit is stopped.

Q. How do I know when I have received a payment?

A. To learn if a payment has been credited to your account, you may contact your bank. You may also call the Toll Free voice response service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The number is (800) 231-4255. In addition, the child support web site provides payment information and can be accessed at www.childsupportnd.com. No payment information will be mailed to you by the Direct Deposit Unit.

Q. Where can I receive further information on direct deposit?

A. For further information contact the Customer Service Unit at (701) 328-5440 or Toll Free at (800) 231-4255.


Return to the top of the page Top of page   Go back to the previous page Back to previous page

 Get Adobe Acrobat Reader Tested for W3C WAI AA Accessibility Tested for W3C Well-Formed XHTML Code Tested for W3C Well Formed Cascading Style Sheet Code