Child Support Division
Employers: Income Withholding
North Dakota Century Code
14-12.2-33.1. (502) Employer's compliance with income-withholding order of another state.
- Upon receipt of an income-withholding order, the obligor's employer shall immediately provide a copy of the order to the obligor.
- The employer shall treat an income-withholding order issued in another state which appears regular on its face as if it had been issued by a tribunal of this state.
- Except as otherwise provided by subsection 4 and section 14 12.2 33.2, the employer shall withhold and distribute
the funds as directed in the withholding order by complying with the terms of the order which specify:
- The duration and amount of periodic payments of current child support, stated as a sum certain;
- The person or agency designated to receive payments and the address to which the payments are to be forwarded;
- Medical support, whether in the form of periodic cash payment, stated as a sum certain, or ordering the obligor to provide health insurance coverage for the child under a policy available through the obligor's employment;
- The amount of periodic payments of fees and costs for a support enforcement agency, the issuing tribunal, and the obligee's attorney, stated as sums certain; and
- The amount of periodic payments of arrearages and interest on arrearages, stated as sums certain.
- An employer shall comply with the law of the state of the obligor's principal place of employment for
withholding from income with respect to:
- The employer's fee for processing an income-withholding order;
- The maximum amount permitted to be withheld from the obligor's income; and
- The times within which the employer must implement the withholding order and forward the child support payment.