Direct Service Locations
Delivering human services involves a partnership between the department, counties, and private service providers. The administrative arm of the department receives and distributes funds for human service needs, provides direction and technical assistance, sets standards, conducts training of county staff, manages the computerized eligibility systems, and provides program supervision to county employees.
About 83 percent of the department's staff are based at direct service locations (the North Dakota State Hospital, Life Skills & Transition Center, the eight regional human service centers, the eight regional child support units, and regional vocational rehabilitation offices). County social service offices are also important local service providers.
To locate direct services near you, click on the appropriate headings below.
- County Social Services Offices
- Are the first point of contact for families who need economic assistance, child welfare services, supportive services for elderly and disabled individuals, children's special health services, or help locating other local resources and programs.
- Life Skills & Transition Center (Grafton, N.D.)
- Is a state-operated, comprehensive support agency for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and was formerly named the N.D. Develomental Center
- Regional Child Support Units (Bismarck, Devils Lake, Dickinson, Fargo, Grand Forks, Jamestown, Minot, and Williston, N.D.)
- Provide services if they receive a referral from public assistance programs (TANF, etc.) or if parents request services. Services may include: paternity establishment, establishment and enforcement of child support and medical support orders, review and adjustment of court orders, locating a parent, and customer service.
- Regional Human Service Centers (Bismarck, Devils Lake, Dickinson, Fargo, Grand Forks, Jamestown, Minot, and Williston, N.D.)
- Provide help to individuals and families with concerns including family and relationship issues, mental illness, addiction, disabilities, and other needs.
- State Hospital (Jamestown, N.D.)
- Provides specialized psychiatric and substance abuse services for individuals whose needs exceed the resources and capacity of other community services
- Regional Vocational Rehabilitation Offices (Bismarck, Devils Lake, Dickinson, Fargo, Grand Forks, Jamestown, Minot, and Williston, N.D.)
- Assist North Dakotans with disabilities to improve their employment opportunities and assist North Dakota businesses in finding solutions to their disability-related issues