State Rehabilitation Council
The purpose of the North Dakota State Rehabilitation Council is to advise the Director of North Dakota Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) on issues concerning policy and program, delivery of services, and methods for reaching potential consumers.
- Informs and advises ND Vocational Rehabilitation on the effects its programs may be having on North Dakota communities and consumers.
- Facilitates public input into the Vocational Rehabilitation State Plan
- Advocates for consumer rights and services, and
- Communicates to public and community leaders the purpose and need for vocational rehabilitation.
The council members are selected to serve on the SRC by the Governor of North Dakota. They are selected to serve based on their interest, knowledge, and understanding of the needs of individuals with disabilities. Members are advocates for equal opportunities for persons with disabilities in their communities and throughout North Dakota.
The Council must have at least 15 members representing:
- 4 Business, industry and labor
- 1 Statewide Independent Living Council
- 1 Parent Training & Information Center
- 1 Client Assistance Program
- 1 Disability advocacy group advocates
- 1 Community Rehabilitation Program Service Provider
- 1 State Workforce Investment Board
- 1 Current or former VR applicant or recipient
- 1 American Indian VR program
- 1 Department of Public Instruction
- 1 Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor
- 1 Vocational Rehabilitation Agency Director
*51% of Council members must have a disability.
ND State Rehabilitation Council Committees Include:
- Reviews the results of the Vocational Rehabilitation consumer satisfaction surveys
- Reviews, analyzes, and advises DVR regarding program performance and policy issues
- Assists in the development of the Annual Report to the Governor.
- Assists in the preparation of the state plan, strategic plan, and plan amendments
- Assists with public hearings to solicit input from consumers, family members, and the public regarding the effectiveness of DVR Services
- Reviews the public comments and makes recommendations to the full council for their review and action
- Monitors the progress of the Comprehensive System of Personnel Development to ensure compliance with the federal Rehabilitation Services Administration mandate
- Reviews progress toward meeting Qualified Rehabilitation Professional Standards for all counselors within the strategic plan timeframe
- Works with the state director to ensure that both the council and the Statewide Independent Living Council are kept informed of funding issues and other legislative issues that impact individuals with disabilities
- Provides technical assistance on materials and activities being provided by the council regarding legislative action
Membership/Public Relations Committee
- Enhances awareness of the SRC mission and its ongoing support for the VR program
- Coordinates with the Resource Committee to identify and develop material that may be used for legislator education and awareness of disability-related issues related to the VR program
- Monitors legislative activity on the state level, and reports to the full council for potential action
- Develops recruitment strategies
- Reviews member applications and makes recommendation to the full council
- Provides orientation and mentorship to new members
- Develops talking points and strategies to enhance awareness of the SRC mission and ongoing support of the VR program
- Reviews and recommends changes to bylaws
ND State Rehabilitation Council Minutes
- January 10, 2014 (235kb pdf)
- October 8-9, 2013 (269kb pdf)
- July 25-26, 2013 (224kb pdf)
- July 25, 2013 Joint (121kb pdf)
- April 18-19, 2013 (134kb pdf)
- January 4, 2013 (97kb pdf)
ND State Rehabilitation Council Contact Information
- SRC Chairperson
Independence, Inc. CIL
300 3rd Avenue SW, Ste F
Minot, ND 58701
(701) 839-4724 (w)
State Rehabilitation Council Application
Individuals interested in Council membership should complete an application and submit to the SRC Liaison, as stated on the last page of the application.