State Rehabilitation Council
The purpose of the North Dakota State Rehabilitation Council is to advise the Director of North Dakota Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) on issues concerning policy and program, delivery of services, and methods for reaching potential consumers.
- Informs and advises ND Vocational Rehabilitation on the effects its programs may be having on North Dakota communities and consumers.
- Facilitates public input into the Vocational Rehabilitation State Plan
- Advocates for consumer rights and services, and
- Communicates to public and community leaders the purpose and need for vocational rehabilitation.
The 15 Council members, of whom 51% have a disability or have a direct family member with a disability, are selected to serve by the Governor of North Dakota on the basis of their interest, knowledge, and understanding of the needs of individuals with disabilities. Members are advocates for equal opportunities in their communities and in North Dakota, for persons with disabilities.
Membership is comprised of
- 4-Business and industry representatives
- 6-Mandated federal/state/departmental representatives
- 1-Independent living center representative
- 1-Representative of the ND Association of Community Facilities
- 1-Parent representative (must have a child or children with disabilities)
- 1-Mental Health Planning Council representative
- 1-Vocational Rehabilitation Representative
ND State Rehabilitation Council Committees Include:
- Reviews the results of the Vocational Rehabilitation consumer satisfaction surveys.
- Reviews, analyzes and advises ND Vocational Rehabilitation regarding program performance and policy issues.
- Assists in the development of the Annual Report to the Governor.
- Assists in the preparation of the state plan, strategic plan, and plan amendments.
- Assists with public hearings to solicit input from consumers, family members and the public regarding the effectiveness of ND Vocational Rehabilitation services.
- Reviews the public comments.
- Makes recommendations to the full Council for their review and action.
- Monitors the progress of the Comprehensive System of Personnel Development to ensure compliance with the federal Rehabilitation Services Administration mandate.
- Reviews progress toward meeting Qualified Rehabilitation Professional Standards for all counselors within the strategic plan timeframe.
- Works with the State Director to ensure that both the Council and the Statewide Independent Living Council are kept informed of funding issues and other legislative issues that impact individuals with disabilities.
ND State Rehabilitaiton Council Minutes
- April 18-19, 2013 (134kb pdf)
- January 4, 2013 (97kb pdf)
- October 9-10, 2012 (106kb pdf)
- July 18, 2012 (119kb pdf)
- April 18-19, 2012 (109kb pdf)
- January 20, 2012 (100kb pdf)
- July 28-29, 2011 (16kb pdf)
- April 7-8, 2011 (52kb pdf)
- January 7, 2011 (49kb pdf)
ND State Rehabilitation Council Contact Information
- SRC Chairperson
Independence, Inc. CIL
300 3rd Avenue SW, Ste F
Minot, ND 58701
(701) 839-4724 (w)