Success in Leadership
In an effort to maintain the high level of professional expertise within the DVR operating structure and in response to the Governor's statewide initiative to retain North Dakota's quality workforce, DVR created its "Success in Leadership" program in 2006.
Success in Leadership is designed for all DVR staff interested in moving into a new, different or expanded role within the division. This may include:
- staff that would be interested in mentoring new staff,
- staff interested in moving into management positions and
- all staff interested in expanding their leadership skills or roles.
Success in Leadership requires a three-year commitment to the program. The first class of six individuals, chosen through a statewide selection process, began work in early 2006. Three individuals were selected and added to the program in 2007 to fill the program's nine-member capacity.
The purpose of Success in Leadership is to challenge individuals in becoming positive forces of change in the field of Vocational Rehabilitation by adopting and implementing exemplary leadership practices. All staff have the opportunity to become part of Success in Leadership, and will be able to expand their knowledge, skills and abilities by participating in quality training to become exemplary leaders.
Current or completed SIL projects
- Revise the existing assistive technology checklist.
- Create a decision making model to be used by counselors and their client's when selecting assistive technology.
- Implement new, innovative vision services ideas to effectively serve the greatest number of eligible people statewide with the current funding provided and consistently measure effective services.
- Interview/survey previous employees in an attempt to determine if there is common cause for their departure.
- Development of a DVR Business Award to honor businesses that strive toward the highest level by devoting time and energy to work with DVR and their community in a meaningful way.
- Develop a series of AT Brochures for the Grand Forks Solutions using AT lab. The brochures will provide product features, photo, purchasing source(s), and pricing information.
- Coordinate and oversee all aspects of the development of the Minot Assistive Technology Lab and Business Center. The lab would be located outside of the human service center with storefront footage.