Welcome to the official website of the North Dakota Department of Financial Institutions.
The Department of Financial Institutions regulates a number of financial services providers through our three divisions. The Banking Division regulates state-chartered banks and independent trust companies. The Credit Union Division regulates state-chartered credit unions. The Consumer Division regulates Money Brokers, Mortgage Loan Originators, Deferred Presentment Service Providers (Payday Lenders), Collection Agencies, Debt Settlement Service Providers, and Money Transmitters.
Online License Application and Renewal System
This system is part of North Dakota's electronic government initiative. By applying for or renewing your license online you will be able to insure all the information we maintain in our files is accurate and up to date. In addition, applying for or renewing your license online will allow both your company and our agency to expedite the application process. All applicants for licensure are now required to submit their application through the NMLS, a nationwide multi-state licensing system. Please click on the logo below to access the NMLS licensing system.
Rules and Regulations
Click here for selected sections of the North Dakota Century Code and North Dakota Administrative Code that apply to North Dakota regulated financial institutions and financial corporations.
News and Alerts
- North Dakota Department of Financial Institutions to Adopt New SAFE MLO Test
- Database Fee Increase For ND Licensed Deferred Deposit Service Providers (334kb pdf)
- Advance Fee Scam Uses Phony North Dakota Address
- Department Adopts CSBS-AARMR-NACCA Statement on Subprime Lending (93kb pdf)
- October 2013 (299kb pdf) (Banks Only)
- July 2013 (236kb pdf) (Banks Only)
- April 2013 (524kb pdf) (Banks Only)
- January 2013 (542kb pdf) (Banks Only)
- October 2012 (267kb pdf) (Banks Only)